Who's getting the silver proofs?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coin Chick, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Coin Chick

Coin Chick Loves Gold

The silver proofs have had such a whirlwind the last few years, who's getting them this year?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. drexters

drexters New Member

I'm not. Never have, never will.

4. Walt Southward

Walt Southward New Member

I finally learned my lesson and quit buying all mint items a few years ago. Proof sets I bought 50 years ago brought a decent price, those 15 or 30 years ago were worth less than I paid for them, and recent proofs, plain or silver, were erratic at best. I really took a beating on modern commems! Of course, I'm divesting, and that colors my views. Walt Southward

5. Larry

Larry New Member

Walt,
    How are you selling your collection: dealer, auction, by the piece? Has the method you chose worked for you? Where is the best market for proofs & commems?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Walt -

I'm curious - you say proof sets you bought 15 - 30 yrs ago were worth less than you paid for them. Worth less to who ? A coin dealer ? And when ?

Of all the years for Proof sets - only 2 or 3 yrs in the early '80s currently sell for less than issue price. And only 3 or 4 of the years for the Prestige sets sell for less today. So it does happen - yes. But not very often.

As for myself - I buy all Mint issue sets - every year.

7. rnealw

rnealw loony bin Material

Hey I just bought a 1962 proof set and it sold for under $3.00 when it was issued. I just wish I could have got it for less than that.

8. Walt Southward

I'm divesting in every way...club auctions, in-state dealers, individuals, etc. The town I live in, Hilo, Hawaii, is small and there are a limited number of collectors. I've sent a lot of coins to Calif. and Arizona wholesalers. Many proof sets that I bought in the 70's and 80's are worth less now then I paid for them. The Red Book will give you a good indication of issue prices and current values. Walt Southward

9. Tendermen

Tendermen New Member

Why are you selling everything?

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll tell ya what Walt - I'll pay you 15% over issue price for ANY original Proof set. I'll even pay the shipping. And I'll still be coming out on top in the deal. So next time you feel the need to sell some - drop me a line - gdjmsp@qwest.net

By the way - I'm not a dealer and I won't sell the sets.

11. Crito

Crito New Member

I'm buying the silver proof set, clad quarters and a uncirculated mint set... just to update my intercept shield statehood quarter album, no extras. Hope volume 2 of the album comes out soon. Heard intercept was having probs with manufacturer in china.

12. Walt Southward

Simple, Tenderman. I'm getting old, have no children and my wife isn't too eager to have to dispose of a collection of 50-plus years. I hate to break up a good deal of effort, but it appears to be the prudent thing to do. Walt

13. Hedderick

Hedderick New Member

I am not inspired by those coins.

14. Flash

Flash New Member

I buy one silver proof set every year. This year will not be an exception.

15. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I think it is a good deal to buy at least one proof set per year.

16. sguess

sguess New Member

Last year, I thought about buying 100 of the silver proof sets, but settled for 10. With a little effort, I can sell most of them on E-Bay and come out OK.

This year, I sense that something is terribly wrong. The Mint is still selling them, I believe long after last year's date. I wonder if the government decided to make a lot more packages, too many in fact, and cash in.

However, another possibility has occurred to me the last few days. With the price of the 1999 set being over $200 on most sites, is it possible that new collectors are being blown away?

A person who has been buying a set each year is going to have $319.50 invested for all 10 years, and will clearly have made a solid investment. A new person, even shopping on E-Bay would have to spend considerably more than $300 "just" for 1999 through 2002. They can still buy 2003 from the Mint.

Does anyone think that's possible, that the new collectors have been chased away?

17. Basileus

Basileus New Member

I frankly think the silver quarter sets are quite beautiful. I am far more interested in them than the regular, circulated quarters for four reasons: 1)They are of lower mintage. 2)They are quite beautiful and I like silver, it is my favorite metal. 3)The price of silver may go up.
    4)The silver sets have been going up in price overall, even if some of the years were not at a large rate. I do not have the old proof sets, but would consider some with the 1964 Kennedy half dollars.

18. crazy larry

crazy larry New Member

i'm picking up the silver sets as i can, how can you go wrong with silver? :p
    i have yet to buy a set from the mint, some i have paid more than mint price for, a couple, a little less than mint price...???

Mr. Walt, do you have a place online where your selling your hoard?
    if thats out of line, sorry, just tryin' to help a coin brotha' out.;)

19. Walt Southward

I haven't developed a web site yet, but I'll be glad to send you an updated list, by e-mail or snail mail, if you'd like. Walt

20. crazy larry

crazy larry New Member

thanks Walt, you've been PM'd :D

Draft saved Draft deleted