Whoopee

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by HumptyDumpty, Nov 1, 2009.

1. HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty Junior Member

Found my first obvious double die, the 'W' in we is doubled :) Red 1976 D Lincoln cent.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Are you saying that you've found a Doubled Die or a Machine Double Lincoln Cent?

4. HumptyDumpty

Well, from this outstanding link (same website) that explains it, I'm going to have to go with it being a double die.

Bills example (foundinrolls) "If the doubling is rounded and has some depth it is a doubled die." matched what I see. It is only the W though. I scanned it, but it isn't detailed enough to show specifically.

Edit: I believe I have a 1989 machine double Lincoln cent.

5. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

have a picture?

6. HumptyDumpty

Here's a pic, but not clear though.

It is only the W though that is doubled. Impossible to see from this pic.

Attached Files:

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Ok, I see. Did you notice in his post how he calls it? It's a Doubled Die not Double Die. There's no such thing.

8. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

humpty-- If you want to (PM) me I can tell you step by step how to get your pictures to inlarge so others can get a real good look at them. I use a thing called fotoflexer, I can zoom in on pictures but only 1 at a time, but it works--BILL

9. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

It would be unusual to have just the W of WE doubled in hub doubling. I would think one of two processes is at work: either (as mentioned) it is MD (or DD), or other evidence of doubling, such as mild separation lines or notches, has eluded your detection. (It is probably MD but withhold judgment until I see something.)

I know pics can be tough to post but we'll need something to go with in order to help.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not likely a DDO.

11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

It will not be a DDO if you only see doubling on the W. It doesn't work that way.

Machine doubling (no value) can effect any part of any letter, one or all. That will be what you have.

It happens often that when someone is new, the first few hundred coins, it seems , that they post will be of machine doubled coins. It takes time and patience to learn what to look for and then identify a doubled die.

Thanks,
    Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted