Who now this coin and the value- 1617

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by avi400, Apr 24, 2008.

1. avi400

avi400 Senior Member

Look at the photo please.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I would post to the foreign section.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

It depicts/shows itself as an (British) East India Company Indian 1/2 Anna. Maybe another temple token???

Ben

5. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Nah, Half-Anna is a currency.

I've found many other coins like this but not this particular one.

6. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I bet Spock will know... he likes Indian coins!

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Yes it is a currency Eddy but when did it come into existance? I seem to recall that the Indian Rupee was divided into Anna sometime under British rule as opposed to the John Company rule, just looked on wiki and it says that the company began issuing coins in the mid 17c!! so it might well be a temple token

8. bart

bart Senior Member

This looks to me as a modern-made coin for tourists. The lettering and the design are far too modern for a 17th century coin. The maker made his own design. It is even not a copy of an existing 17th century coin.

9. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Bah.

:cool:

Good info.

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

11. avi400

avi400 Senior Member

What is the vlue of the coin?

Who have a catlog world coins from 1601-1700 , Can help
    me about the value.
    Thank you for your responds and
    thank to the forum.

Attached Files:

12. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Some members above have indicated that this is a fantasy piece, meaning it is fake and was created in modern times.

The East India Company had only been on the continent a few years by 1616, was not minting coins, and the denomination 'anna' was not yet being used. I looked through the catalog for 1601-1700 anyway and this design is not listed.

These pieces have been reported in the past, bearing dates 1616, 1617, etc, they are clearly fabrications that apparently were sold on the street in India to tourists.

It would not have any value other than as a fantasy piece.

13. avi400

avi400 Senior Member

Look at the link on ebay, the year 1617 this was the

the year that the british get arrangement with the

mugli empror to make trade for 100 years.

the link:

http://cgi.ebay.in/EAST-INDIA-COMPANY-HALF-ANNA-1834-SCARCE-DATE-EF_W0QQitemZ180235226104QQihZ008QQcategoryZ118379QQcmdZViewItem

read all the listing and search the year 1617.

If you have catalog and the coin do not apear it means

that the man who made the catalog don't now about

this coin.

I myself find another coin that not appeared in catalog.

So I hope the members of the forum will write their

opinion.

14. acl864

acl864 Senior Member

"By a series of five acts around 1670, King Charles II provisioned it with the rights to autonomous territorial acquisitions, to mint money, to command fortresses and troops and form alliances, to make war and peace, and to exercise both civil and criminal jurisdiction over the acquired areas."

Very interesting reading.. for ebay. The above quote from the artical states that the British East India Company was not authorized to mint money until 1670. Is that accurate?

Andy

15. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

For what it is worth, I found the following CT thread:

http://www.cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=1883

Refer to a brief history, with pictures, of the East Indian company coinage, here:

http://www.geocities.com/jmd_brussels/EURUKE.html

The link you provide says nothing about coinage in 1617, the oldest EIC anna I see for sale there is from 1833.

I do see your coin for sale, though, on eBay, I'm sure there are plenty around. As I said they appear to be available from street vendors.

16. Stefan Pernar

Stefan Pernar New Member

Just checked the 3rd Edition of Standard catalog of World Coins for this coin and nothing there. Seems like a modern fake to me...

17. goossen

goossen Senior Member

It looks modern to me, desging, lettering. I think it couldn't be a 17th century piece.

18. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

I have looked in many websites for your coin and no coin exist. May,I suggest you take it to a coin dealer and ask questions or to a coin show and ask many question, All the old coin from india do not have english numbers on them. Here is an example of an India coin,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hyderabad Mughal Sulthanate coin - 17th century

Cheryl​

19. Arhaan

Arhaan New Member

I have this type of coin ...half Ana east India company 1617...with radha Krishna (...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
  20. coinsaleonline

coinsaleonline New Member

More likely that this is fantasy production of our days.

21. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It is not an old coin but a modern fantasy.

Draft saved Draft deleted