Who likes a good mystery?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by novel idea, May 27, 2005.

1. novel idea

novel idea New Member

I found this coin (and yes, I have a strong feeling it's a fake) but I would like to know if it's a copy of a real coin. If it is a copy I would like to know what I'm looking for. It's a handsome coin and I would like to locate a real one.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rick

rick Coin Collector

it's from egypt. KM #386 50 Piastres from 1956 - or appears to be.

XF values this at $13.50 in my edition, $7.50 in VF. I don't know how to grade these particular coins, but my gut tells me that VF might be reaching quite a bit. Roy would be a far better person to give a more informed opinion on grading this type, I think.

I don't think it's a copy - what makes you think so?

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

Krause also says it has a pretty low mintage of 250,000, and it's made of .9 silver, ,8102 ASW, and somehow celebrates the evacuation of the british.

I'd say that's a pretty neat find!

5. novel idea

novel idea New Member

Well, it was the size of a silver dollar but sounded decidedly non-silver. I also bought this coin and some others (Liberty Walking Silver dollar) which were fakes. It was a hunch...the street vendor in Hong Kong didn't exactly carry the insignia of a reputable coin dealer. Plus I saw lots of them on the street. Not 250,000 of them, but quite a few.

6. rick

rick Coin Collector

Ah... well then, you are probably right.

according to krause, it should weigh right at 28.0 g. if it's off metal, it probably won't weigh correctly.

7. novel idea

novel idea New Member

I'll take a look at the weight when I get/find a scale. Thanks to you both for the info!

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Novel Idea.
    I agree with Rick about what it is supposed to be, but unfortunately between its provenance, and its surface appearance, I'm convinced that it's a cast copy. :(

Have you tried the "ring test"? .900 silver is called "coin silver", and is the alloy from which pre-1965 US dimes and up were made of. If the coin is genuine it should have a bell-like tone when dropped a few inches on a table. (The condition of that particular coin won't be harmed, but don't do it with an MS63+. ;) )

9. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Egypt: Arabic: "'id Algalaa (aljalaa)" : "evacuation Holiday", A Commemorative To The Evacuation Of The British Army...

Draft saved Draft deleted