Whizzed or Buffed?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by whoopig, Jun 3, 2005.

1. whoopig

whoopig New Member

What do you think is going on with this coin?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Without seeing it in person I can't say I'm 100% certain - but I don't think anything is going on with it. It appears that it was struck with a well worn reverse die - thus the striations. But other than that - I don't see any problems based on the pics.

4. whoopig

whoopig New Member

Will those striations cause the luster to break as you turn the coin? The cartwheel does not look right and all of the lines bothered me.

5. GDJMSP

It depends - sometimes it may make it look like the luster is broken because of the way the striations reflect the light since they are deeper than normal flow lines.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Would a worn die still strike that sharply?

7. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

"Whizzed or Buffed"

Too close to call from these photos. Need actual coins and a closer look at exactly what is happening, to be sure.

8. Ciscokid

Ciscokid New Member

Well I agree hard to say from a pic, but I have to say, the reverse is very much suspected to me as definitely has been whizzed--I would almost bet money on it after seeing a few gold whizzed coins, this is however silver, but to me still looks whizzed--the lines look deep, why do you not see pattern on the reverse?

9. NICK66

NICK66 Coin Hoarder

Would you happen to have a Digital Blue microscope to take closer pictures? ;)

10. whoopig

whoopig New Member

no microscope but I do have these.

Attached Files:

11. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

What does whizzed mean? I'm not familiar with that term

12. whoopig

whoopig New Member

It is the act of using a tool to polish the coin to simulate natural luster. Dremel tools are the most commonly used. They usually have an odd reflectivity to them compared to genuine mint state coins. Good whizzing jobs require good magnification to see the lines from whizzing.

13. Ciscokid

Ciscokid New Member

Now after looking at these mag photos I really can't tell 100%-What bothers me is, if this side was whizzed, my question to you since it is in your hands, do these lines match and or flow over the raised areas following the same pattern? If these lines continue over the raised areas, like over the eagles body parts and or over the raised lettering then I would again say it has been whizzed. Also, I would expect to find accumulation along the edges and raised areas as the coin was whizzed it will push material over raised areas--If brutally whizzed you won't miss that. If "gently, or professinally whizzed it will be ver subtle, and very hard to tell--IF however these lines are only visible in the background, then I will lean more to what GD says--striations on the planchetts itself when it was created--

14. whoopig

whoopig New Member

The devices on the reverse all look fine. It is just the background of the reverse only. The obverse has no such marks. I will send it to ANACS for slabbing since they will slab if it is whizzing or cleaning or whatever and net grade it if it has problems.

15. GDJMSP

I'm not saying that at all - my thought is that the striations are the result of a worn die and die polishing.

16. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

17. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Striations from overpolishing are caused by a polishing device actually grinding into the surface of a die and would tend to occur mostly in the fields of the coin, as that would be the highest part of the die and would receive the majority of the polishing.

Whizzing is the polishing of the coin, which would tend to be most prominent on the raised devices because they are the highest points on the coin. From the photos, it looks like these striations are only in the fields and not on the raised devices.

Based on that, I would say that the striations are caused by overpolishing of the die. Overpolishing can cause the light refraction to look different than the normal luster of a coin. If the coin exhibits any wear from circulation, the striations might appear to have wear at the highest points of the groove and no wear at the lowest points, showing as a break in the luster between the grooves.

An overpolished die will not take much away from the value of a coin.

Your dollar looks nice!

18. sammie

sammie New Member

from those photos this coin appears that the reverse has been polished with and emery cloth or something close to it. this was common in the old days. the coin may have been mounted at one time and there may have been glue or something on the back that was removed. the obverse looks clean from the photos. Those reverse scratches are deep and would cause a body bag return.
    If the coin were whizzed you would not see any scratches, rather the cartwheel would be broken and shatter in all directions. Whizzing is very deceptive and you need to see lots of whizzed coins to pick it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted