Which coin grading service to use?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by QuarterEagle, Dec 30, 2005.

1. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

I just purchased a 1911 D quarter eagle and would like to get graded. However, it is a problem coin--it has small scratch marks on both sides. My three choices are: 1. ANACS 2. NCS or 3. Don't get it graded.

Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

ANACS for sure. That is a heavily counterfeited date, so I would definitely get it slabbed.

Charlie

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would go ANACS....

Speedy

5. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

Ok, thanks for your advice. I am pretty sure it is authentic because it was sold as a 1911 not a 1911 D. But I would like to get it slabbed and authenticated anyway.

6. Speedy

Maybe that person knew something and just didn't tell it....

Speedy

7. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

That is definitely possible. For the price, I thought I was worth the risk. I'll post again when I get the coin back from ANACS. Thanks again for the help.

8. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

Just got the fax from ANACS, it’s genuine and graded net AU-50. Thanks for the advice and help.

9. Speedy

Glad its real!!!.....if you have time to post photos when it gets back I would love to see it!

Speedy

10. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

I wonder if it will be in the new holder.

Charlie

11. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

I hope so. I'll post pictures when I get the coin back.

12. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

I met with James Taylor at the FUN show and saw the new ANACS holder.

Very slick and the size is very similiar to PCGS, NGC and ICG so ALL 4 of these TPG's can go in the same box. The angled slab top with a printed coin description is slick for us that want to see what coin it is before we pull it out of the box. Lettering in front of the slab is a nice large font for us that need reading glasses.

This slab is much stronger, sonically sealed, and more presentable than the old holder. Reholder from old Anacs slabs to this one is $5. They were taking submissions at the show telling submitters that the new slab will be into full production in just over two weeks. Many were putting, "hold for the new slab" on the form.

13. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

I guess my coin will be in the old one. A couple of weeks too early....Does anyone have a picture of the new slab?

14. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

3.25" by 2.375"

I forgot...it is thinner than PCGS, NGC, ICG, etc., thereby a box will hold 25 slabs instead of 20.

Airtight, sonically sealed, etc.

Looks like:

Attached Files:

15. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

All net graded coins will be in the old slab. Only problem free coins will go in the new slab.

16. Speedy

Hey Gmarguli
    To the best of what I know....that hasn't been proved yet...it started as a rumor and no one has been able to get the info from ANACS yet....I've been trying to talk to Mr Taylor but he was at the FUN show and hasn't returned my call yet.

Speedy

17. QuarterEagle

QuarterEagle New Member

I hope its not true. I really like the new holder and it would be nice to have that coin displayed in a clear slab. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for all the info.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Speedy has since posted in another thread that it is true. Problem coins = old holder.

19. Speedy

Yep--its true...that is one thing I don't agree with ANACS on.
    That IMHO will mess up more collectors than it will help.
    I for one will be taking an extra look at the older holders...

Speedy

20. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Speedy, Mr Taylor will be holding a web chat over at Susan's site (coin community dot com) this afternoon/evening, so that may be a good place to ask any questions that you weren't able to ask on the phone.

21. Speedy

Thanks...but I've already talked to him---right now I think I won't be asking any more questions....I might call him back sometime...he doesn't seem to mind the calls.

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted