which AGE fractional is the best investment?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Oct 27, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

I know is sounds like a loaded question all about greed :D and it's a fraction of it of course :D

but seriously which 2009 fractional would be the best investment or return per dollar invested in buying one

I really really want to get 1 but I just need some input.

I heard 1/10 oz of ok but the best is 1/4 since not as many are probably being made.

any good advice is welcome

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

The half and 1/4 oz eagles historically have the lowest mintage rates.... so for the long run I would say snag one of each or two 1/4 ounce ones.

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i would say the 2008w american eagle uncirculated 1/4 ounce gold coin is the best investment. with mintage only 9,200. the lowest of all american eagles and buffaloes gold coin.

5. boxerchip

+1 if 08s are an option for you.

6. elaine 1970

i would expect the 2008w unc american eagle 1/4 oz. to go as high as $2,000.00 each in the near future. buffalo can do it. eagle can do it too.

7. boxerchip

REALLY!? gosh I hope I can get one and I hope your right... I just cant see a 1/4th oz eagle commanding that much! What makes you think it will hit 2k aside from mintage, or is it just mintage? I would pay 2k for a buffalo a lot faster than for an AGE, just not as attractive to me! (the reverse is meh to me)

8. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Sorry elaine, I have to disagree.. the better choice in my opinion is the 1/2 oz 1991 then the 1/4 0z and 1/10 oz error's made with unpolished proof dies...(they carry the "w" mint mark that the proofs do and have Roman Numerals)

Former owner of these...

RickieB

9. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Let me know if I am mistaken these fractional 2009 eagles are bullion coins right? I mean they wont have a mint mark like the "W" on them? so why would a collector want these even if the mintage numbers were low?.

10. elaine 1970

no. we are talking about all fractional with (w) mint mark. those without is a bullion coin.

11. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Well then that's different! AMPEX are pre selling them but the add does not mention a mint mark on them. I will order a full mint roll of each today!. I just didnt want bullion only coins. thanks Elaine I ou1!

12. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

I would have to guess the 2008 1/4 ounce W. Glad I bought all of the '08 gold I did!

There is an 8-8-8 Double Prosperity Set on eBay that ends in an hour. I think it is at
    $2125. The last few have sold between $2125 and $2350, although on October 13th, one sold for $1400. That was one lucky person!!! Wish I had noticed it!

13. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Folks..just for your information when the USAs Gold Eagle Program started up again in 1986 the Gold, and Silver Eagles were strictly bullion both Proofs and Uncs. That has not changed! They are both considered bullion the main difference is that the Proofs are minted for collectors!

The "W" mint marked coins I am talking about were the unc coins that were struck by mistake with proof dies! The dies were not polished, therefore rendering them with the "W" MM and a unc finish due to the dies not being polished. These are error coins and exist in only the 1/4 and 1/10 oz fractionals.

As far as the 1/2 oz uncs go, the better coin to have is the 1991 if you can find it! It still has Roman Numerals for the date and will cost you a good size premium.

I hope this does not confuse the issue...all AGE, ASE, Buffalo's, Spouse and APE coins are Bullion!! Now as far as collectible is concerned there are some of them worth a higher premium than others, this will be determined by market demand (availability)....I know this to be fact as I once owned almost the entire set from 1986 thru 2007 when I collected coins....Now in the future a complete set of Spouse Coins may demand a significant premium....just as would a set of commems...take the Jackie Robinson as an example....the 1995 W Silver Eagle Proof was avail in a Gold set only.. it will cost you 5K..it is still a bullion coin however, it has enourmus appeal. There are may examples like this..these are but just a few.
    If you are asking about what is the best bullion coin to own...I simply told you what I had owned that proved to be significant in price appreciation...plus the fact that I was buying gold when it was 300-600 per oz.

Hope this clears the confusion on what bullion is...

RickieB

14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Elaine turned me on to the 1/4 oz 2008-W UNC AGE about the time they started to sell out. I bought 22 of them picked out the 70's and sold the raw ones for apx $410 each. The PCGS MS70s sold for $520+.......not bad on a last second find !!! So I agree with Elaine on this one.....:high5:

15. elaine 1970

what a coincidence. i also bought 22 pc of 1/4 oz. 2008w AGE uncirculated. but i never sell mine. in fact another 8 pc were on the waiting list and were cancelled by the mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted