Where is the best place to buy coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by moneyfan, Mar 31, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

and at a low price.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Pocket change. ;)

Seriously, what type of coins are your interest?

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

:D :D

5. moneyfan

any us coins really. older the better.

6. Leadfoot

Price range?

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i have got this 1492 copper penny handgraved by george washington yours for only $10

If anyone thinks this is funny this is what people tried to do to me when i was 5 and didnt know stuff. Do your research pal or people will rip you off.

8. moneyfan

cheap

9. moneyfan

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Low price does not mean good value. I could sell you circulated 2007 Lincoln cents for 5 cents apiece. That is a low price but a terrible deal for you as a buyer.

You really need to decide what it is that you want to collect and then educate yourself about that series. Learn which dates are rare and which ones are common. Get yourself a price guide and learn how to use it. Learn how to grade coins.

Buy a Red Book and READ IT.

Visit your local coin dealers. Talk to them and tell them what you collect and ask for any advice they can give you. Attend a coin show. Learn as much as you can BEFORE you buy a coin. Otherwise you will most likely overpay (which can sour you on coin collecting).

11. Leadfoot

You might consider ancients. Some can be found relatively cheaply, and are very old.

You can also find older coins from places other than the USA. Old US coins and cheap don't generally go in the same sentence, although bust half dollars of the early 1800s are good bang for the buck, and I'm also a bit partial to large cents.

You can get them at coin shows, or online. Be careful, because as Spock pointed out, there are people ready to take your money. You would do better to study them for a long time before buying a lot of them. Post a few coins you are considering and I'm sure people will help.

Take care & good luck.

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

13. Leadfoot

p.s. buy or borrow as many coin books as you can (and Hobo is 100% right).

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

did you buy the two books i asked you to buy?

15. Leadfoot

After further review, a great series to consider starting out with is Jefferson Nickels. They can be collected out of pocket change, and can virtually be completed by simply searching rolls (although a few dates are near-impossible to find, they are still relatively cheap in circulated state). They are a great series to learn on, as they will introduce you to grading both nickel and silver coins -- a lesson that will be very valuable if you move on to other series. Jefferson nickels should be every coin collectors first series, in my humble opinion...MIke

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

in my humble opinion it should be the george 6 rupees of british india :D but i guess i am the only one in the forum who will say that :D

17. Leadfoot

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

certainly not. ill explain why. those coins have 100% silver, 50% silver, copper nickel. keys fakes. varieites, and design changes so you get to study the whole nine yards plus its a very short series 1938-1947 and it used to not bust your pocket although thats changing now :D

19. moneyfan

have u heard what they are going to do with the penny in 2009??

20. hfd12316

hfd12316 Senior Member

4 circulating commemorative one cent coins depicting different stages in Lincoln's life for the 200 anniversary of his birth. There may even be original alloys used for collector based sales instead of stinkin' Zincolns like now. Yippee

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uh OK - but it might just be a bit hard to find rolls of those to search through - unless you just happen to live in India.

Draft saved Draft deleted