Where do you buy Silver Eagles?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by lincoln64, Jun 22, 2005.

1. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

Where is a good place to get rolls of silver eagles? I checked the mint site but all I could find are proofs. Are they strictly a dealer item or can you get rolls at a bank?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Local dealers and online dealers.

4. dmin

dmin Junior Member

I have bought them from Coast to Coast Coins. The 2005 mintage is currently selling from $9.25.

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

And, these folks have a good selection:

Silver Eagle Coins.com

Be sure and include shipping when you determine what the cost is. Silver Eagle Coins sometimes has free shipping.

6. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

Thanks,
    The reason I ask is that I got a flyer in the mail saying I could purchase up to 20 coins for $8.50 and a shipping charge of $10.00. Of course they would contact me from time to time with new specials.

7. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I buy mine from my dealer and from Coast to Coast Coins. Have never gotten anything but great coins from both.

:) :)

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Your "flyer in the mail" sounds like Littleton. Good company, high prices.

They do give you a good deal initially (like the one you're describing), but watch out for them sending you unsolicited coins monthly "on approval."

9. sky

sky Member

not to steal this thread, but i have been thinking about collecting some of the silver releases from around the world. mainly the uncirculated britannia and panda.

i am looking to pick up only one or two of each year, possibly going all the way to the beginning of each release. what would be the best way to store these? should i use the standard air-tites that i see everywhere? would there be tarnishing...etc...after time if stored correctly? that said, if i do decide to go with the air-tites, is there a designed "box" for storage of the air-tites?

if not air-tites, what would be some other similar options?

lastly, does anyone have experience with the panda and britannia? i have always liked the panda ever since my uncle gave me one when i was younger. and for some reason the britannia just sparks some interest for me.

thanks in advance

EDIT:

is anyone here also interested in bullion in bars?

10. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

The site I referenced sells silver bullion from Canada, China, Britain, Australia, Mexico, etc.

There’s a boatload of display and storage accessories made for the Air-Tites, including display albums, plastic storage boxes, display cards, display easels, display cases, etc.

Check J.P.’s or Mitchell’s for starters.

11. sky

sky Member

thanks. acutally, i checked out and bookmarked all the sites in the thread. i will check out the sites you mentioned for supply options.

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Regarding the original thread, I've gotten most of my eagles from Ebay. Right now the prices generally seem high, but last summer I was able to win several auctions with an average price below $8. The Littleton starter deals are also good and if you tell them to stop sending coins to you they will comply. If you can get 20 eagles for $8.50 plus shipping that sounds very reasonable right now.

13. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I think the Britania are some of the most beautiful coins I have ever seen. I love to collect them.

:) :)

14. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

I want to know how to become one of those "authorized dealers" who get the ASE's directly from the mint? Do you have to order them in mass quantities?

15. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

Coast Coin, ditto.............Littleton, no, too high, don't support rips

16. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

you have to buy big dollars worth,there are only a few dealers that can buy them!

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

At last count I think it was only 14 dealers authorized to buy from the mint. You have to go through a pretty involved approval process, have an established business, a certain level of assets etc etc.

It's not something that just anybody can do.

18. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

Not that I could afford to buy that many ounces of ASE's anyway. It would be fun to get that shipmentin though!

19. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

You also have to be a "Market Maker" in order to be an authorized dealer. In other
    words, you must also "Buy" as well as sell any quantity of eagles based on a
    set bid/ask on an index. Which index they use escapes me at the moment. Comex
    most likely, but I don`t know for sure.

Bruce

20. ritepath

ritepath New Member

21. Rob_0126

Rob_0126 New Member

Suppose it's all about big business as usual. The little guy has to buy retail.

I bought my 1st 20 roll of silver eagles for $11/a piece.

My 2nd, $8.70/a piece. Have to work on that dollar cost average now :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted