where can i buy coins with errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by moneyfan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

do u know a place where i can buy coin errors, and at a low price?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Fred Weinberg and Mike Byers are both top notch, well known, honest dealers specializing in error coins. Both have fair prices, but they are not "cheap".

To buy genuine errors at "low" prices requires extensive knowledge of errors, and lots of show and internet shopping to find the ones whose owners don't know the value of what they have.

Error shopping is a great example of why you should always "buy the book before the coin".

4. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

What kind of errors are you looking for? You can get some nice ones cheap on eBay, like blank planchets, clips, CUDs, but these are outnumbered by auctions of "errors" that are not worthwhile, so you have to be careful.

Do you have a "Red Book"? There are some of the major errors listed in there, in the "Misstrikes and Errors" section.

5. moneyfan

thanks, i will check them out.:hail:

6. rossman705

rossman705 New Member

i have probably thousands of mistruck coins ranging from off centered strikes to wrong faces on certain sized coins. where can i go to get a value appraisal?

7. moneyfan

there is a book called (i think) Blackbook to Mint errors. something like that. check it out, might help.:smile

8. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

You can also check coins in circulation, and do some roll searching also to find some errors at face value. ;) Best of luck! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I purchased a error peace dollar from Fred, very good transaction. I'd recommend Fred. Maybe I should take a photo and post my error coin?

10. craton

craton New Member

Yes you should........

11. craton

craton New Member

Oh yeah, I would also reccommend Rich Schemmer for your error needs. Very cool man with some very cool errors.
    http://www.richerrors.com/

12. moneyfan

know any good books on coin errors??

13. moneyfan

do you know of places to get error bills?

14. Oldman

Oldman New Member

Look on ebay. The only thing I can say about Errors coins if some times they you are better off buying them slabbed. As there seems to be a lot of people making coins look like error coins.

As for books. There is a book named Price guide to Mint Error's writen by Alan Herbert. Although the price guide part is way off if you ask me. Most the info in the book is right on.

I have my eye on a 1964 Jefferson error Nickel right now myself. :) I too like my error coins. The more screwed up the better. lol

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed, great stuff and fair.
    Also (a rarity) honest.

16. Bone Head

Bone Head Senior Member

17. moneyfan

thx for all the help

18. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Try local coin dealers if you have one near. e-bay and internet dealers can be at times non trustworthy, you can hold the coin in your hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted