When to be insured?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jako lipo, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

when is it a good idea to get your coins insured? and how much does it cost?

could anyone tell me at what range of your coin collection value how much it is cause i dont wanna say how much my coins are over the internet

Also how do you prove to the insurers how much they are worth?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Document your collection with clear digital pictures both obverse and reverse, and if you can, load them into a software program ( I use Coin Manage ) AND a backup source, NOT stored with the coins...bank box etc

The ANA sells insurance, as do many homeowners and renters insurance companies.

The insurance is worthless, unless you have documention as to grade, quantity etc......PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!!

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

As Jack said, ya gotta document the coins/collection.
    But------
    The insurance is very expensive.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While picture may be helpful to you the owner, from the perspective of the insurance company pictures are worthless. Insurance companies want receipts, paperwork and nothing else. Been there, done that.

And the insurance is not expensive. A $100,000 policy can be had for approx $200 a year.

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

so if i get a bunch of BU 1909 SVDB as a result of roll searching i cant insure them?

7. GDJMSP

Sure you can, but you'll have a lot tougher time trying to verify the value of the coins. With raw coins what you need is an appraisal by someone qualified to give one.

8. Arizona Jack

would a reputable TPG slab be considered an appraisal?

9. GDJMSP

10. Arizona Jack

I figured as such, I have seen more and more ads for loaning institutions to lend on collaterol slabs......at 50% cdn usually

11. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Another reason to slab your rare coins. Insurance and it'll really help out your heirs when they try to get some money back from your coin habit after you're gone!!!!

12. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i have insurance on my collection, buit my agent told me that i didnt need a seperate policy because my home insurace carried a clause for collections. i belive it was 20% or something like that. SO in the event of somthing happening, i was covered without paying for a seperate collection clause.

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Prior to having your coins insured stop and think of the area you live and the reason your wanting to insure your coins. If for fire or other types of home damage and you live in a rather safer type area, probably a good idea. HOWEVER, in many large city areas you must remember some things. For example the insurance agency is full of just people. Everything you tell or show them goes into a computerized system and the entire insurance company now knows everything you have. People in many such companies come and go as often as at McDonalds. Many such people may not be the most honest people on Earth and/or they have freinds that are not very reputable. Occationally some people purposely geta job at such agencies to just find out who has what. Your info can be spread all over the place. There have been in my area many, many home invasions where the criminals knew EXACTLY everything that was supposed to be in that home. Wonder how they knew?
    With the computerized system of today, the less info about yourself you allow to be documented, the safer your coins will be.

14. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I would recommend double checking with your agent, learning what the particulars/precise requirements are and getting it in writing.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Agreed, and the fine print usually excludes collectibles and cash over $X -- fill in the blank #.

Draft saved Draft deleted