Wheaty question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Apr 10, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I have one of those blue plastic coffee containers about 3/4 full of wheats. Yes they have been searched. My local dealer offered me 2 cents each for them. Is that a good price? OR should I just sit on them. ALL opinions are welcome!

Thanks Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Sit on them. They aren't going to cost you anything to keep at this point, they don't eat much and require no maintenance. Why sell? Heck, if your gonna sell them that cheap, offer them here in the forum, I am sure some of the youngin's would love to have them for that price.

4. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

There are quite a few pre 1930's in the I know also a bunch of 28's. That is why I'm questioning the 2 cents each. Maybe ebay the better ones? :confused:

5. coppercoins

coppercoins certifiably unstable

You kidding? I would buy them right now at 3c each...no questions asked, no returns. I'm sure you think they have been searched, but I doubt they have been searched for what I look for.

Think of it this way....I really like morel mushrooms. They grow wild throughout the center of the country from late March through May. I like to go out in the woods hunting for them so the family can have treats.

Someone else out there likes to collect hickory bark from fallen hickory trees for barbecue grilling. Best time to do that is before the bugs attack, after it starts to get warm...March through April.

You walk up to one of the two of us, don't say what you are looking for, and ask if the woods have already been 'searched'....and whomever you ask says 'yes'.

Point here is, you have to be particular about what searching has happened, or the answer is meaningless.

There are essentially THREE different things people search coins for...

1. Key dates and more valuable semi-key dates (usually in mixed bags, rolls).
    2. High grade coins (usually just in BU rolls).
    3. Die varieties and errors (in both).

So...if these wheat cents have been searched, would it be all of the above, or not?

6. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I don't know a whole lot about Die varieties so I'd have to answer no to your question

7. commidaddy

commidaddy Senior Member

I really like that analogy, the problem is for me I don't know what a morel mushroom or hickory bark looks like.

When it comes to selling them for two cents each, I would have to courteously abstain.

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Indeed....sage advice. My local dealer pays 2.5 cents and sells them for 5 cents. Most places on the internet sell them between 3 and 6 cents (or higher).

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

To give you a little perspective, my local will pay 3¢ each sight unseen. So long as they are wheats.

10. coppercoins

Which is why buying them at 3c each wouldn't hurt me a bit, even though they have been 'searched'.

11. coppercoins

Which means you're probably not from these woods. Any self respecting Ozarks hillbilly knows what morels look like, and will wade through ticks and snakes for days looking for these tasty treats.

And Hickory bark? Well, that doesn't take a lot of effort...look for Hickory nut hulls all over the ground and assume the rest.

So I guess this means you've never dug up Sassafrass root for tea, eh? You city folk are really missing what it's like to LIVE!

12. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

All very valid points and all well taken. It would be foolish of me to let them go. Maybe I'll learn about die varities next, this is as good a time as any I guess. Can you suggest any good books on the subject?

Thanks for the input everyone! I love this site

13. coppercoins

Well, I could suggest one...but I wrote it, so it would look like self-promotion.

14. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Really?! PM me I'll try to find a copy!
    Thanks Again!

15. coppercoins

I don't know how to 'PM' here. Just study my sig line...you'll find the answer there. :)

16. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

17. xtrmbrdr

xtrmbrdr Senior Member

If copper prices keep climbing they will be worth that in melt alone in a few months. I'd keep em'.

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Look at the bottom of that coppercoins reply. That is his web site. Go there, look for anything you may have worth saving or selling. Then he wouldn't have to spend time telling you about Hickory BArk, smakes, nuts, etc.
    Or you could buy one of his books and know as much as he does. I did so I know everything. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. houston3204

houston3204 Numismatic Consultant

KEEP em...Keep em>>>put them away.....my opinion anyway

20. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Your not the only one. I think if you look at the top, right there is something called Notifications. Not sure but I think that is the same thing.

21. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Pm is easy
    Just click on the person's name above their avatar and a drop down menu includes how to PM them.

Richard

Draft saved Draft deleted