wheat penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wheaties fan, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Wheaties fan

Wheaties fan Junior Member

im new at knowing coins.long time collecting..ive got this 1949s and wondering what caused this and will it cover the whole coin ? [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloNickel86

BuffaloNickel86 Spare Change Hunter

Interesting, what does the reverse look like?

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Someone dip it before you got it

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I agree that some chemical residue was on the surface & caused the discoloration. Copper is a very reactive metal. You have probably heard that TPGs don't guaranty copper coins in their slabs.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

PCGS (I have heard) and NGC both guarantee copper. And for at least NGC I have proof from personal experience. See http://www.cointalk.com/t44616/

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks RLM. I stand corrected. I haven't read any TPGs warranty statements.

I think it was around 1990 when I bought a 1972 Lincoln DDO in a PCGS MS65. The dealer told me that it had been in the holder for several years which was a good thing because it hadn't changed in those years. This dealer told me the TPG wouldn't guaranty spots & toning on copper. His words to me may not have been factual. He may have been speaking just to make me comfortable buying his MS65. Just because someone tells you something doesn't make it true.

Very best regards,
    collect89

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

NGC DID not used to guarantee copper. I believe it was 2000 they changed that. Now I believe it is guaranteed for 10 years.

9. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Maybe when it was new someone stuck a piece of tape or their gum on it and its been lying in a drawer for 60 years ; )

10. Wheaties fan

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:
    Look like an old blue Whitman turn the obv

12. Wheaties fan

yep your right jello they are in a old whitman folder ty

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yes I seen many like that at yard sale mostly & I buy them if the $$$ is right

14. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

This is really odd though. Most coins in the old Whitman Folders end up having the reverses turning dark with some faded lines from the glue process. Usually the obverses are OK though. I assume this coin was in that folder obverse up so the discoloration that appears to be toning from a torch on the obverse only is odd. I've see many discolorations from folder storaging but always on the reverse.
    Are there other coins in that same folder? Where is it stored? If other coins in the same folder, what do they look like? Did you put those coins in that folder and if so, you may have had something on your hands when pushing it into the slot.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I have to look but I know the Whitman FOLDER series#90???

Draft saved Draft deleted