What's this?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jody526, Apr 7, 2005.

1. jody526

jody526 New Member

It is said to be a "Bern: 1740 Double Thaler".

I've never heard of such a thing. Have you got any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

It's definitely from the Swiss Canton of Bern. The bear is part of the obverse design of quite a few of their coins, and from a quick scan appears to be exclusively a Bern design element.

However, I can't find that reverse, that exact obverse, or any "double thalers" in the 18th Century Krause. :confused:

I'm also not finding any listed Bern coins dated in the 1740s. :confused: :confused:

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Had the same problem Roy. The bear was used by several of the Cantons on their coins - but that reverse has me going. I have seen it before though - of that I am certain. Just gonna take me a while to find in which book :confused:

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I think that this is a commemorative medal from Berne.What the event that is being commemorated,I don't know.

Aidan.

6. GDJMSP

Jody - can you tell us what the diameter and weight of this is ?

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

GDJMSP,do you see that triangle symbol? I have seen it before.It is the All-Seeing Eye,which is on the back of the American $1 note.I don't believe in this so-called Masonic conspiracy to take over the world.

Aidan.

8. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Naw, it symbolizes the aliens who are really running this planet. If you look closely on the U.S. note you can tell they are reptilians! They are shape-shifters and can take any form so that would explain some of the butt-ugly government officials in the world. They don't have beauty down pat yet! Bet you haven't heard that one either? I sure wish they would help get my intergalactic coin collection started!

9. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

The true matrix eh? lol

10. GDJMSP

Well I found out where I had seen this before - on ebay. HERE

Without the catalog mentioned it may never be known for sure, but as best as I can find out this item was struck to commemorate religious freedom which was granted in 1740 by Frederick the Great.

11. jody526

jody526 New Member

Yes, that's the auction the piece came from. The buyer now wants to know if it's "real". (Good time to ask, huh? LOL)

Thanks for your replies, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted