What's One Country you don't have represented in your collection, and would like to?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Billy Kingsley, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Just a topic I was thinking about that might make for some interesting discussion.

For me...I thought about it long and hard...and I would have to say it's the Byzantine Empire.

Two big reasons, the biggest is that of it's ties to ancient Rome, and the second big reason, is that it was such a world power for so long, from a time period I honestly don't know THAT much about, as I have spent more time studying what came before, and I've retained more of what came later from my readings.

Hey, I never said it had to be a CURRENT country! :D

So, how about you out there in CoinTalk land?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

I've got nothing from the USA, which is kind of a pity, but I can't find any early issues which aren't disproportionately expensive.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I wana get a few ancient jewish and persian coins. Theres coins I want more so they are towards that back of the list and I'm not activly looking for them yet.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

I know this is an ancient/world coin thread, but the questions was what country not what coin.

Hungarian currency -- Pengo notes from around the WWII era.

Combination of detailed vignette portraits and very interesting, intricate designs.

See also International Engravers Line by Gene Hessler pp136-7, p177

6. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Scotland ... nice old gold pieces are hard to come by

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Call me self centered!! But Mpc usa all the way brother!!

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

MPC is not a country. Besides, you already have a bunch! :p

What country (or political entity, I suppose) do I not have represented in my collection that I would like to? The two that I wanted the most I just crossed off: The Kushan Empire and the Kingdom of Mauretania. I still want something from the Manchu kingdom, prior to their conquest of China. And the Alexandrine Empire in the interregnum between the death of Alexander and the rise of the Diadochi. And of course, Pharaonic Egypt. But since only two original types were issued (a rare bronze and a very rare gold), I may just be patient and settle for a slightly cheaper Athenian imitation tetradrachm of Sabakes.

These are of course all ancient.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Sogdiana but I'm picky so I want a coin that copies Chinese Cash in shape (square hole) but has the Sogdian script legends. These appear regularly on the market but I'm always outbid.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Me too. Let me know if you find a hoard! ;)

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I left out a decent coin of Ptolemy

12. Man, you ancient guys are something else...I have never even heard of some of these places! (Now I have!)

I never knew Ancient Egypt, Pharoh times, had coins. Interesting!

13. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

I'm 100% with that. Nice old silver pieces are pretty scarce too.

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

20th Century Togo Please

The country that I have wanted to add to my collection has (for a long time) been Togo. I have had several examples but they are all either worn, ugly, or somehow damaged. I actually have a Visa in my old passport for Togo but I never acquired a nice looking coin from the country! I finally found & bought my Togo coin(s) at the Fun show earlier this month. I got a 1-Franc, 2-Franc, and 5-Franc. The 1-Frank depicted here is made of aluminum & in-hand I give it an MS 65 1/2. Aluminum coins begin to show wear about a millisecond after the coin begins circulating. This 1 Franc never saw any circulation. It is full of luster.

Attached Files:

15. Neat Franc! I personally find aluminum coins to be highly attractive in uncirculated condition. I like how the French African provinces had a unified theme, too. I have an issue from French Central Africa that has a very similar design, also of aluminum. I got mine years and years ago at the Science store in the Danbury (CT) mall, they had world coin bins that I wish I had raided to a much further extent.

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The 2 Franc is AU.

Attached Files:

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I think this 5 Franc is an UNC.

Attached Files:

18. Swimmingly

Swimmingly Junior Member

Dahomey

I want one of the Dahomey silver coins, preferably a topless one ... They're just out of my price range so far.

19. chip

chip Novice collector

I am not sure if they made coins or used other coins, but I would like coins from sparta (laconia), or septimania, or Norman france, I have not seen any yet, the reason why would be the off chance an ancient relative might have handled the same coins.

20. hiho

hiho off to work we go

And usually very expensive. Beautiful coins though...

21. ericl

ericl Senior Member

Vermont and Virginia. These are expensive. the United Provinces of Central America,

Draft saved Draft deleted