What's in a name-Satin Finish

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by miker, Jun 27, 2005.

1. miker

miker New Member

The latest Coin World gives the following from the coin grading services as to what they will call the Satin Finish coins;
    ICG-SP(Specimen) and will grade them SP-67 (or whatever) and will add the term Satin Finish.
    NGC-SMS(Special Mint Set) and will grade them MS-67 (or...) and will add the term PL (Proof Like) and may have a * for superior eye appeal.
    ANACS-SMS(Special Mint Set) and will grade them MS-67 (or...).
    PCGS-Undecided but will probably grade them MS with a SF for Satin Finish.
    ASA-Accugrade-MS grading with the term Satin Finish.
    PCI-SMS(Special Mint Set) and will graade them MS-67 (or...).
    SEGS-MS grading with the term Satin Finish.
    NTC-SMS(Special Mint Set) and will graade them MS-67 (or...).
    Also in the article it was pointed out that some of the coins have very weak Satin Finish and Coins World is investigating to see if the finish degrades with the number of strikes on the die.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Steve E

Steve E New Member

I think most grading co's. are jumping the gun. If this is never done again with the mint sets, then yes, they are a special mint set. Calling them "specimen's" is a joke, just another way to get more money. PCGS has the right idea and all others should be required to label them the same. MS with a satin finish, I can live with that.

4. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

5. miker

miker New Member

I still question the MS. These are not mint state as it has been defined in the past. The are an exception to MS and PF and are in their own little world.

Draft saved Draft deleted