What would you grade this Morgan Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mike Willner, May 9, 2008.

1. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Hi,
    I'm learning both a) grading Morgans, and b) evaluating dealers based on how they grade vs my perception. Can you give me your grading of this coin... I have a conclusion of my own which is different from the dealer's so a third opinion would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The obverse might go XF. Can't see the reverse pic. Partially cleaned and with an abundance of fingerprints. thats my best guess.
    Guy~

4. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Here is a better shot of the reverse

Attached Files:

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Agree, XF. :)

Ben

6. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

high xf-low au

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

That 4-5 oclock area on the reverse looks kinda odd to me. Wonder if someone was trying to use an acid to clean that toning. It looks a lot duller than the luster on the uncleaned parts.
    Guy~

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Agree with the XF assessment and cleaned, but not real bad. The spot on the reverse does look duller - could it be the picture? Almost looks like something was spilled on the coin.

9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

It almost looks rusty...

10. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

agree w/ the concensus. cleaned at some point and gradewise xf..thank you for sharing. grab some morgan books to help enhance your education and your enjoyment....sincerely...steve

11. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I would grade this from what I can see a XF.

Question is what is it you explect from the dealer. His grade, his purchase price or true retail value of the coin? Many factors can influnce his comments.

Beware this is a very common coin and from what I can see is on the very low scale of eye appeal.

12. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Thanks for the grading lesson. I had settled on XF myself based on the condition of the hair and breast feathers on the reverse, so this is a good validation.

To answer the questions below, the dealer grades this as AU (which I questioned and prompted me to come here to see if I was missing something), and the price is right between XF and AU in CDN, so the price is probably very reasonable. Finally, this is not a coin I would put into my collection based on eye appeal.

Again, thanks, this was very productive.

13. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

The coin kind of looks like a flatly struck AU to me. I would say it is worth between XF and AU money, if one doesn't mind the color.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would agree with XF but might sell for a little less because of the uneven surface color.

Draft saved Draft deleted