What type of bullion do you buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, Mar 1, 2009.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I'm investing heavily in NGC MS69 ASE's!
    What about y'all... What type of bullion do you buy???
    MS70, PF70, PF69, MS69, AGE's, ASE's, APE's???
    Pandas, koalas, maple leafs??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

4. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

just buy directly from the u.s. mint. period. never buy slab coins or from the dealers.

5. tmoneyeagles

Why do you say that?
    Do you think the premiums on slabbed coins will not last? Do you think the premium and values are inflated?

6. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

take of your slab coin and try to sell it to a dealer. of course you are not really want to sell it. and see how much you going to lose on that slab coin.

7. tmoneyeagles

Slabbed coins make the world go round!
    You lose no money buying and selling slabbed coins, in fact, you make more money selling slabbed coins

8. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

T money eagles is a comedian fer sure.

You had me going there for a second ...slabbed MS69 modern issues ...ROFLMFAO.
    You must work for a tv coin show or must have been watching waaaay to many.

Any modern bullion investor knows...buy old gold (double eagles) in slabs, buy new gold in airtites/flips.

9. tmoneyeagles

Uh, I'm not being funny... I'm working on a set of MS69 ASE's,
    AU53-MS62 quarter eagles, MS60-MS64 Morgans, and the rest of the coins graded by NGC, including bullion. You do understand that graded bullion fetches big bucks. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT THE PCGS First STRIKE BUFFALOS GO FOR???

10. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

If you take a good look at ebay auction results you will find on MANY occasions a raw ASE will get better than an MS69. Why? because people are hoping for that 70 if they send it in.
    Also as Elaine pointed out try selling that MS69 at a shop. I work in a shop and we have boxes of them.
    We get the occasinal MS70 and people pay stupid money for it even though OUT of the holder most would NOT be able to tell the difference.

Want bullion buy whatever you can as cheap as you can. I have bought U.S. and foreign. I have bought junk silver as well. Bottom line is that if the price goes up so does your metal. Price goes down so does you metal.

I would certainly NOT invest in all slabbed metal. If you do dump them when they're hot as they have a history of going down. The plastic loses it's appeal.

Last bullion I bought was chicken actually. Yummy!

11. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

A set of MS69 ASE's can easily be had on ebay for $650.
    No work involved.

It's fine that you slab your quarter eagles and morgans, those aren't moderns. Duh.

No, I haven't seen what FS Buffalos go for but thanks for asking.

12. tmoneyeagles

The FS population is very low... And will fetch hundreds more.

PCGS MS70 FS $5 Buffalo: Easily in the $400-$500's
    NOW I'm NOT CRAZY ENOUGH TO BUY IT FOR THAT MUCH

And I agree about what all of you are saying, if you take it out of the plastic, then it is basically the same exact thing as raw, and you can't tell the difference between MS69 and MS70.
    I prefer all my coins be graded by NGC though

13. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

You will get more out of your money if,

You will get more out of your money if you light it with a match and warm your hands with it than you ever will out of MS-69 anything since 1986.
    I hope your not serious this market is dead.
    No dealer I know will give you one cent more for a TPG modern coin in MS-69 than if it were a raw coin.
    They are all MS-69 or so close to it it's not even funny. The TPG companies don't even look at them with a humans eye from what I've heard they just run them through on a conveyor belt with a computer doing the grading. Whether or not that is true I don't really know but please tell us your not serious about these common coins? - I don't even consider them coins myself just chunks of silver with a pretty design on them. Then again, this is America and you can spend your money on anything you want - that's what makes the world go round.
    It would be bad enough as a collector doing that but as an investment????

14. tmoneyeagles

I think it is a good investment... See this is slightly weird... I just recieved a message by accident, and somebody just asked If he was the only one who thought I was weird.
    But all the people @ coinhood and on the ebay hood, think that buying NGC graded bullion is the way to go... It is weird how opinions of people change just going from site to site

15. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Best of luck with your investment.
    If you know anything about coins, you should compare NGC and PCGS sell prices. You will determine that PCGS gets more at auction than NGC. Look towards real auction houses like Heritage and not ebay.
    If you really want to get a good return on your investment grade coins. I'd slab all your old gold and morgans with PCGS.

The modern bullion that is all MS69 anyway, you can keep in NGC.

16. tmoneyeagles

Oh, I know that PCGS fetches more at auction. Check out my profile, you'll see my quarter eagle

And I like my morgans they way they are, in the good ole' NGC slab

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If you are really in the know on coins, slabs are nothing. Slabs really do nothing for coins other than reassure people that need reassuring.

If you really know your coins, you do NOT need the opinion of some nameless grunt shuttered away in some air conditioned and lightless Floridian grading factory.

Slabs are just lousy plastic if you are a real coin collector.

18. pbryan

pbryan Member

I think you're mistaking investing in bullion with investing in numismatic products.

It makes no financial sense to pay $50+ for $13 worth of silver. No one purchasing bullion will ever pay that much over spot price for some plastic and ink surrounding your silver.

Your investment assumes that there will be a future demand, by collectors of coins, for 69 graded ASE's. That may pay off for you, or the value of your graded coins could fall to spot silver. If that happens, and say silver goes up to $100/oz. your $50 ASE still doubled in value, but my purchase of an ungraded no-mintmark ASE for $17 increased in value by nearly 6 times. Which was the better investment?

Even if the premium for your 69 coins stays constant, and the value tracks up at roughly 4x silver spot, you still didn't do any better than I did percentage wise.

The only way the graded coin investment can really pay off is if collector demand increases so the premium over spot for a 69 ASE increases. Most of the time that doesn't happen. That is why many say numismatics is rarely a good investment, but is always a good hobby.

--Paul

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

All those cute little MS-69 and much vaunted MS-70 coins will all come down to their proper value with the bubble bursting on graded coins. It will happen. Not a question of whether, but when.

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Nastily raw, and ungraded by overpriced, overgrading TPG, but lovely and historical and lightly circulated $20 Liberties, which until about a year ago sold for about 5% over spot. Now the only stuff I find like I want to pay for are Austrian or Hungarian 100 Coronas and 1976 Canadian $20s.

Any premium you pay over spot for a coin is fluff. Pure and simple. Plastic and someone else's opinion(unfortunately not your own) also add to the premium.

21. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

i get ms69 silver eagles for 23$ a piece

Draft saved Draft deleted