What to invest in

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jufr18, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jufr18

jufr18 Junior Member

I have about $1100 to invest immediately and already own a few 10oz silver bullion bars, what would you recommend for investment? More bullion? and If so where would you buy from, I need to get this done asap. Thanks a lot

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Coins are a hobby, not an investment. The coin market is no place for investors. Some pretty knowledgeable people lose money in this business any day. A novice stands to do no better and likely much worse.

4. mikenoodle

If you're asking about bullion, I am scared to death of metals right now.

If you're going to buy, then see if you have a local coin or pawn shop. They will usually have some for sale.

5. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Now is not the time to invest in gold and silver. They are very high, and could easily go down. You could also go for some palladium which has been steadily increasing for the past year, and will become more valuable as the recession slowly comes to an end and more cars are being produced.

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

also you might look at platinum... I think once auto sales come back the platinum market will improve.

7. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I say go into forex. Trade currencies, Euro dollar as bullish as can be.

8. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Platinum?

Maybe..

9. mikenoodle

BNB, just a personal question...
    If you think that the responses to your coin were varied and all over the road, just read this thread when it's a few pages deep.

Talk about no way to tell who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't... I may as well just post the question on the the outside wall of Union Station and see what's on it tomorrow.

Asking coin collectors what to buy on the surface may sound like a good idea, but this is an internet forum. We have everything from 7 year olds pretending to be adults to 15 year olds posing as CEOs. Of course there are also people that are exactly as they say, but who can tell? And your going to take advice from them? I dunno about that... something about it doesn't make sense to me.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

1 ounce American Silver Eagles are the best bullion investment in the world for that kind of money. But the timing and price you pay is your responsibility.

11. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Which also means, wait for the next pullback in silver prices before buying.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Not sure why you have to do ASAP. Does this mean all of the money? If you lose all of it, will it alter your lifestyle? When might you need it back?

If it is "play money" and you won't miss it, and know coins, buy something beautiful like a $10 gold Indian head, maybe find a 2 1/2 dollar Indian head to go with it. If you don't know coins, buy some Silver eagles. If silver goes down, they make nice Christmas Presents.

If it might be needed to pay the heating oil bill this winter, keep it in cash. IMO

Jim

13. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

Great Idea Jim!
    I have always liked those incuse gold coins. I hope to own the
    10 and 5 dollar ones in the future. I see them always offered in mags, but usually around AU condition.

14. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I second that. Those incuse designs really do it in for me.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Someone said it up there. They said coins is a hobby, not an investment. That said, there are situations where you can make some scrillage. The other day when the LN6 was being sold, I wish I would have thought to offer ppl $90 or $100 to order me some sets. Anywhere from $20 to $40 bucks over what they paid would have left room for profit. That is the only time where I see investing in coins can be profitable. I don't think that right now is a good time to buy gold bullion or silver but that's up to you. If you can get in on some US mint fractional gold, like the gold buffalos, say the 1/4oz. Or even a 1/4 American Eagle, I think that would be worth your time. good luck, and what ever you do, take your time b/c haste makes waste. :thumb:

16. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Very good point. Well said.

17. desertgem

The design of the $10 Indian does lend itself well to AU and even high EF. An evenly worn AU often looks better than a MS60-62 and preserves the intrinsic value better. If I needed the money, I would rather sell the $20 Saints myself.

I bought the 1962 year of Numismatic Scrapbook to add to my library, and the prices are unbelievable, except I did a whole year at a university, including tuition and dorm/food for $750.
    ====================================

1884CC BU $8.00
    1916-D Mercury Fine $85
    1792 Half Disme F-VF $750
    ST. Gaudens-Indian Gold BU Type set $20,$10,$5, $2.50.......$116 total
    1955/55 DDO Lincoln BU $137

Jim

18. jufr18

jufr18 Junior Member

ok just to clarify, I have this money to invest, it is the result of me riding the nice bull market from feb to now and I just pulled it out and am enjoying the money I made, I just would like to invest in something that can be a nice hedge vs the nasty hyperinflation we are going to more than likely see in spring of 2010

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Hyperinflation by Spring 2010...likely not.

A friend once asked me a similar question. He had come into some money ($2000) and knew I followed the markets. He wanted a recommendation where he could put his money and make a killing.

After he described his finances, I told him I knew where he could make a 24% return on his money (tax free!) right away with ZERO risk.

He was all ready to jump right in until I told him to pay off the $2000 balance he had on his VISA card. Needless to say, he stopped coming to me for advice.

20. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

There you go. Isn't that the truth! 15 year old pretending to be CEO's. Everyone that responds outrageously I consider that it is probably some goofy teenager with a hyperdefensive disorder (the psychologized generation) who can only talk via text or online. Such persons usually have the dicotomy of having their sad social skills in person sit a Grand Canyon distance from their high level "INTERNET" social skills.

21. desertgem

A week ago I agreed with Yakpoo's comment on inflation. I don't see hyperinflation ( if at all) until the unemployment rate drops significantly and the average income per family increases, which may be 3 to 5 years or more down the road.

What has tempered my view a little is that the inflation defensive stocks/options I use (Just in case), have begun to rise, indicating some move in the inflation direction. SO, whether this is a "blip" or an actual increase is hard to tell, but worrisome. Currently I think "blip". IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted