What to do?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Otter, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

I have been collecting for over 40 years including a few years working for a local coin shop in the late 70s. In some ways, it seems like things have changed quite a bit in the 'coin biz'....anyways

I have common, circ pre-1965 silver $.10 $.25 $.50 that I would just as soon sell/convert into something for my collection. If I sell it, I assume it would get melted down and there is something emotionally abhorrent to me to see beautiful (but worn) Barbers, Merc, etc... be destroyed.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Art

Art Numismatist?

Sell the coins to collectors through places like CoinTalk. Many collectors feel the same as you do and will hold the coins that fit their sets and either stockpile the others or trade them off for items they need. Anyway good luck with it.

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

There are bullion houses (IRI, for instance) that bag these coins up and sell them to investors in weighed bags...usually 28 Lbs per bag. They don't always melt the coins.

5. Otter

Good options. Thanks!

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

The thought of being emotionally attached to common silver coins, is comical.

There are tons of old silver out there, tons ...and at one point or another we all must meet our maker. For some ..its sooner than expected.

Don't think of it in a negative way. It's not death but most likely a rebirth ... try to think of it as reincarnation. That old merc and frank ...may someday become a beautiful silver earing and bring some young lady a lot of years of enjoyment.

7. Otter

'Comical'?? You cut me to the quick! :) I didn't say it was rational.

I think its more like destroying history....

Draft saved Draft deleted