what this coin is worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by whitney, Mar 20, 2006.

1. whitney

whitney New Member

i have a bronze looking coin from british columbia dates 1871 and on the back it says pacific dogwood with a flower in the middle

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Sounds like you have a medal or a token. Does it have a denomination? i.e. 50 cent, 1 Dollar?

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Hi Whitney, and [​IMG] to CoinTalk.
    I agree. There is nothing remotely similar in the 19th Century Krause 3rd Ed. The only BC materials listed are the extremely rare and valuable 1862 patterns.

How large is your item? Medals are generally larger than 35mm (about silver dollar size), and smaller pieces are usually tokens.

5. whitney

whitney New Member

well the coin is about the size of a loonie and it has a 1 on it

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Perhaps one of our Canadian members will come along with more precise information, but it appears that you have a medal commemorating the 100th anniversary of British Columbia's joinder in the Canadian Confederation.

The Royal Canadian Mint produced a 32 mm nickle commemorative dollar in 1971 (KM#79), with the Queen's effigy on the obverse, as is standard with Canadian coins. The reverse had the legend "BRITISH COLUMBIA CANADA DOLLAR", the dates 1871 and 1971, and the Provincial coat of arms with some blossoms on top. Since the dogwood is BC's official tree, that's probably what the blossoms are.

7. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

heres the coin Roy mentioned..
    [​IMG]

Also a $350 Gold coin dated 2000 "Pacific Dogwood".
    [​IMG]

A pic would be a great help.

8. fiftypee

fiftypee Member

Hello folks:

I have seen these coins around alot here in Canada. This is a token representing British Columbia as 1871 is the year British Columbia entered into the Canadian Federation. The Pacific Dogwood is the flower of British Columbia.

Who made them? I don't know. Could have been a private company, and somewhere in the back of my mind I am thinking they may have been issued by Shell Gas, or some other oil company. I could be way off base here with this info.

I have seen other types of similar coins made for the various provinces and territories, and I think they were issued in conjunction with the Centennial year of Canada becoming a Federation (1967)

Yeah the ones I have seen are bronze looking too, but they have no monetary value.

I hope this adds some more info.

fiftypee : ]

9. Pinck

Pinck New Member

I have a dozen of them

Draft saved Draft deleted