What QX should I get?? QX3 - QX5

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Speedy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Ya'll,
    I think I'm going to have to give in and get a QX so I can take some better pic's of my varities. For a few years I've been holding a camera up to my scope and taking shots, and that just isn't going to work all the rest of my life.

I'm trying to find out what one I should get, but it is kindof hard for me to decide. I'm reading through all of the old threads here on CT about the QX3 and 5 and I hear both sides.

So my questions are---
    What one works with Vista?
    If you have one--take a pic and post it for us to see.
    If you have had both the 3 and 5...what were the pro's and cons of each one?

Thanks alot guys---I saw where some qx3 are selling on Ebay for under $10 and a qx5 went for under $35...

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I have the QX3. It works but not very good. If I were you I would wait and get one of those Big-C dino lites.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Speedy, here is a link on another forum reporting that the QX5 type factory software doesn't work with vista
    http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41470

and here is company offering QX5 software of theirs for Vista.

http://www.compuvisor.com/resoforqx5pc.html

I have Taiwan knockoff of QX3, but I don't use Vista, so I don't know. I dumped the factory software and used Corel Photo Pro X2 with the microscope, it did everything except remote stuff. But my best is still the B&L Stereozoom binoc and my Canon 590IS shotting through the lens like you ! My "QX3 type" can't focus on a complete cent even at lowest power. The Dino camera does have some models with extended focusing distance where you can move the scope away far enough to get a complete Morgan in the photo, but they are expensive.:(

Jim

Jim

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You wonder why they make this so difficult

6. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I bought a QX5 and it doesnt work with Vista.

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I would love to buy one, but neither works works with a mac unless you buy special software.

8. Speedy

One small thing---they were useing 64bit...and alot of things won't work on that.

Are you on 64 or 32bit?

I'll check those out..

Thanks ya'll for what has been posted this far---any more?

Speedy

9. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I'm on 64 bit. I'm going to try to download the software on my old HP and see if that works any better. My desktop HP uses Windows XP and should run the program....I never thought of using it until now.

10. Speedy

How many of ya'll have used one like DinoLite makes? DinoLites are $$$ but I see there are some copy-cats on ebay for around $100...

Speedy

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Hey Speedy - if you send me a vista machine I will test my QX-5 on it. :) By the way - I have a monitor so I just need the machine. :)

Never used the QX-3, but I like my QX-5.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Better yet on a nice night like tonight you could just run your machine on up here for us to test on. Nothing like slip sliding away for 80 - 90 miles. :)

13. Speedy

LOL---it is on it's way.....NOT! :D

Yeah--I didn't think we would have power right now...the office is out and if it wasn't for power backups our servers would be down.
    Hopefully tomorrow I won't be called out, as I would rahter have 2 days at home! !!

Speedy

14. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Spencer check your mail....
    A great offer is waiting for you!

RickieB

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

and to think I was wondering months ago how hard it would be to get to work with Linux and now they don't work with the MS products they were built for?

jeez....

I love proprietary software and interfaces....

Ruben

16. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

I bought a QX5 a few years back and played around with it, Found the lighting to be the biggest issue. Went back to holding the loupe up the the camera and the OX5 hasn't been used in about 3 years.
    I don't believe it will work with vista, but I use XP pro on my desktop.

Draft saved Draft deleted