What is lowest mintage Memorial Lincoln Cent and what is the size of that pile???

Discussion in 'Contests' started by bhp3rd, Feb 23, 2010.

1. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Okay here's a twist - I really don't know how to do it myself but I thought it may gives us an idea of what xxxxxxxx.00000 number of total production of one years cents looks like!

Which is the lowest mintage Lincoln Memorial Cent, total pieces, what year, mint, circulation strike only? Now that is easily looked up but here's what is not.

What would that the total pile, trucks, pallets, rooms. mounds look like?
    What I want you to do is tell us what that total mintage would look like in size related to something we can visualize. I want to know what that many Lincoln Cents looks like no matter how closely packed?
    I think this could benifit CoinTalk members to know just what "the very lowest mintage of cents would look like"!

The very best answer that gives us what the lowest total Lincoln Memorial Cent years production would look like wins.

2-MS-68 (not graded but solid for the grade) Red Lincoln Memorial cents, 2-Gem BU RD 1958-D Lincoln Cents, at least MS-65, 2-Memorial Proofs, (my choice) and a complete P&D set of 2009 State Quarters from a mint set.
    This will not easy as you have got to have the best visual of all!

So let the games (sorry to much winter games) decriptions begin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I believe the lowest total mintage for the memorial cents is 1965 at 1,497,224,900. As for size this would be 7 1/2 -41 foot long school busses, if stacked one cent on top of the other the pile would be 1500 miles tall.

Yes parts of this were stolen from the net

Richard

4. bhp3rd

Richard, I love your description but your total lowest mintage is way off. There is 11 other lower years/mints all under 1 billion. Remember not just the year but the mint within that year.
    Keep trying!

5. bhp3rd

It was maybe not as clear as I hoped - example a 1962-P is one total year/mint production, not the P&D combined.
    Try again please!

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Then that would be 1968S at 261,311,507 or 1 1/4 buses and a stack 261 miles high. The space shuttle flies at 225 mile above the earth, so careful where you stack them! :} :} :}

7. mjames91966

mjames91966 Junior Member

Ok well here goes, 1968 S mint with a total number of 261,311,507. figuring that approx. 145 pennies make a pound. it would be 1,802,148 total lbs. To move all that weight it would take 29 tractor trailers figuring they were all 53 foot trailers. The max for a tractor trailer is 80,00 lbs gross so the total weight just for any cargo is about 62,000 lbs. A 53" trailer can hold 26 4+4 pallets,so considering that, there would be 754 pallets weighing 1,358 lbs per pallet. You would need a 30,000 square foot warehouse to store them all in. I wasnt sure if S mint coins were for circulation due to my lack of knowledge with coins so I also looked for the lowest total number out of the other 2 mints. 1960 P had a total mintage of 588,096,602. Again figuring that the total weight would be 4,055,838 lbs. You would need 65 tractor trailers. there would be a total of 1,690 pallets weighing 2,384 lbs. per pallet. That many 4+4 pallets would require a 67,000 square foot warehouse.
    Ok now my brain hurts, thanks for the contest

8. bhp3rd

Richard you are correct and very good answers - your in first place.
    Now lets see if other members can give us more visuals to help "put this into perpective in other ways. It's amazing to me the reduction of buses in the first a second descriptions. Even with that lower number a person would have a hard time looking at that one mintage in a life time coin by coin, right?

9. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

1968 S with some reports of 258,270,001 minted and some with 261,311,507. Let's go with the latter number.

With a diameter of .75 inches, if you could stack them right next to each other you could fill your livingroom of 25 feet by 14.5 feet, wall to wall, all the way up to the 10 foot ceiling. But wait, it would then burst out the top and reach the top of your roof (assuming you have a 5.25 foot pitch in your roof). And, assuming you wanted all of your neighbors to know you had this hoard, you could build a 4.5 inch x 4.5 inch (putting the cents side by side) pillar upon which to put your sign. Given that each cent is .061 inches thick, your sign sitting atop this pillar would be over 3009.26 feet in the air, or almost the length of a football field (292+ feet) higher than the tallest building in the world in Dubai.

Now that is a bunch of pennies.

10. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

1968 S with 261,311,507 cents minted.

Well, let's see here. If the cent is indeed around 0.75 inches in diameter, that would mean that, placed end to end, these pennies could span 3,093.17599 miles! That means you could put them end to end from Washington, DC to San Diego, a distance of 2600 miles, and then back to Las Vegas, a distance of 340 miles, and still have enough pennies to spend $234,357.23 on slot machines! Holy cow!

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

from another perspective, although it's nothing to do with size or weight, if you had to roll search them all and you only took ten seconds per coin it would take you 81.9 years to go through them all.

12. bhp3rd

This is starting to get good. please keep it up and thanks to those that have responded so far!!!

13. dracula370

dracula370 Mmmmmmm......Bacon

Being a trucker...I see a couple things wrong with your analysis...
    If using 53' trailers...max load in a dry box would be about 52,000lbs. Pallets are 42"x48", so pinwheeled it would hold 28 pallets.
    Nice way to put it though.

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Here's what a billion looks like:

[​IMG]

So about 1.25 of those piles pictured above would equal the mintage of the lowest mintage Memorial cent.

And here's what 10 billion pennies would look like (around the total mintage of the 1982-P):

[​IMG]

Check out this site if you haven't before and see what various amounts of pennies looks like:

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/default.asp

15. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

1931-D Lincoln Cents had 888,000 minted. for what they look like I have no clue

-Shrek

16. bhp3rd

Memorial cents lowest only. What I am wanting to get is the lowest Lincoln memorial cent year/mint (such as 1961-P only, not P&D combined) production's total so when described people can see just just how much (a pile, or mass) the lowest modern cent production would look like. We always hear total numbers but if we can see, or somehow have it decribed (as in a mass, lump, pile, weight, stack, volume) or whatever then we can truly know just how much even the lowest modern cents production could or would actually look like - and if we get a image or idea of the lowest we can only be mind-boggled by the highest mintage 1982-P of 10,712,525,000 cents. Now that 1982 figure does include 4 different design/compositions but it is without a doubt the most often encountered cent found even after after 28 years.

My hopes in this contest is by putting in fairly modern terms, (lowest mintage since 1959) that we can start to fully understand "just how many coins" this really is, and it's unbelievable!!!
    We have common totals of modern Lincoln production of 3, 4, and 5 billion - can you only imagine what that would look like???

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

104,524 boxes of cents + 30 rolls + 7 1968 S cents

18. kimdehart

kimdehart Penny Nut

NOW, that puts it into perpective....

19. bhp3rd

This is great exactly what I was hoping for, great!!!
    The folks on CoinTalk are the greatest even when I dissagree with them - would I ever do that???
    No really the folks on here's combined knowledge is most likley the best source on any one site, book, or forum!

20. mystery45

mystery45 Junior Member

the 1973s had a minting of 317,177,295. i do believe it is the next lowest amount.

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/eight.asp

this is what a hundred million pennies looks like. so multiple that by 3.

so we have ~900 tons of pennies.

stacked up it would reach about 237 miles or about the distance from gainsville to maimi florida.

21. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted