What is it????

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Judy Acs, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Judy Acs

Judy Acs Junior Member

I have a coin which, back in 2005 Bugboy also enquired after.

Does anyone know what it is?

3_1.jpg

3 reverse.jpg

3 reverse detail.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

What's the wording on the edge say?

But while I await that, it appears to be a decoder coin. The numbers all add up to 16 and the letters are missing letters of the alphabet, so I'm thinking it was some kind of decoder coin, sorta like Dick Tracy stuff. ;)

Ribbit :)

Ps: Welcome to CoinTalk! :hail:

Pps: What are the tiny letters above the groups of letters on the 2nd & 3rd pic?

4. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

Never saw anything like that but I hope you have a great stay here with us on coin talk.

Jazzcoins Joe:pencil:

Attached Files:

5. Judy Acs

Judy Acs Junior Member

OK, you decoder guys, let's figure this one out!

The reverse has S.40 - 80 G. at the top, 1861 along the right edge, 1942 along the bottom edge and 1492 along the left edge (Civil War - WWII - Discovery of America?). Also along the bottom edge is a Copyright Albert Wiss.

I thought it may have Masonic significance, Da Vinci code-like, or mathematical or even astronomical....I just don't know.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Judy

6. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

7. Judy Acs

Judy Acs Junior Member

Thank you! Although it still doesn't exactly tell me what it is nor what it symbolizes, it's something!

I ran the German text through Yahoo babel fish and came up with this rough translation:
    Kabalisti gold medal 1942 (Albert Wiss) on outstanding data of American history. A, stars and numbers, in the center 31, 461538. R-S: Letter of the alphabet around number tray, above S (ize). 40 - 80 G (RAM). 79.54 g, DM. 40 mm. Rarely. Impactpurely, otherwise excellently.
    Your advice and input is much appreciated!
    Judy

8. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Maybe someone will have seen it before and will know more and it's possible it may be listed in Krause, so keep your fingers crossed. ;) I love the number sequences and would love to know what it's all about? :D But like I said, there is a purpose with the order so there is more going on with this than meets the eye. :kewl:

Thanks for sharing it with us! :thumb:

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The edge appears to read:
    "1.000 fine pure gold."

10. CW5000

CW5000 Member

Might not mean anything but on what seems to be the reverse, all of the numbers from the outer circle with its corresponding inner circle, add up to 7 or 9 ????

11. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

If you add up ANY lines, obverse or reverse, they all add up to 16. The ones you mentioned, if you keep going in a straight line, you'll see that if it adds up to 7 on one side, it adds up to 9 on the other (or vice-versa) and 7 + 9 = 16. ;)

So 16 is the common number of 4 numbers being added together, but I don't know the why?

Ps: If you look at my original post, you'll see that I said that already but I kept it simple and didn't "spell" it out. :kewl:

Pps: There are also 4 combinations of 16 on the outer ring, in groups of 4 numbers and 2 combinations of 4 numbers that equal 16 on the inner circle.

Ppps: There are also more combinations of 4 numbers that equal 16 on the square block of numbers. The corners equal 16 and the inside numbers (from the corners) also equal 16 and the inside square equals 16.

Pppps: The total is 128, with the inner & outer circle both equaling 32 and the square on the reverse equaling 64, with any 2 lines equaling 32. I find it interesting that this is a 4 square/cubed puzzle (4 squared = 16 and 4 cubed = 64).

Ppppps: One last thing, I hope, I just noticed something interesting about the date 1776. It's 111 times 16 (4 squared). I noticed that date was part of the coin and I found that interesting so I divided it by 16 to see what the outcome would be. It is probably a coincidence but I thought I'd add it anyways. ;) Also, the date 1942, isn't part of the coin, that's the copywrite date. :kewl:

12. CW5000

CW5000 Member

It's a stretch but 1861, 1942, and 1492 could also be 7 and 9.......

13. CW5000

CW5000 Member

Forget about the 7 / 9 thing but the dates all equal 16 as well...?

14. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

There is only one date that is part of the coin and it's July 4th, 1776. Since the coin was all about numbers, I figured I'd look into it and as I was typing this, I realize that 7/4/1776 equals 32 which is 2 times 16 also. :kewl:

The person that designed this has a mathematical puzzle going down within it but I can't figure out what its purpose is. :goofer: However, since we don't have a clue "what" this is, I think a kewl name for it would be The Da Vinci Coin. :D

Ribbit :cool:

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Its a sudoku coin! WOW!

(okay, I'm not serious...)

16. Judy Acs

Judy Acs Junior Member

You've all been busy with the numerology thing! Thank you!

Actually, I believe it was Handsome Toad's discovery of a previous coin selling at a German auction. I did some further research, after translating the auction entry, and believe the coin may have Kabbalistic symbolism.

[​IMG]

The Sephirothic Tree of the later Kabbalists
    Translated from Kircher’s OEdipus AEgyptiacus
    The Kabbalists divided the universe into four worlds, each consisting of ten spheres, arranged into what is called the "Sephirothic Tree." This Tree is composed of ten circles, representing the numbers 1 to 10, connected together by twenty-two canals—the twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet. The ten numbers plus the twenty-two letters result in the occult number 32, which, according to the Mishna, signifies the Thirty-two Paths of Wisdom.
    Now, to try to figure out what all the numbers, and permutations of numbers and letters, all refers to!
    Judy​

17. CW5000

CW5000 Member

Plug in APPLE, see what happens...lol

18. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

What would help is for someone that speaks the language of the auction to do a search online with that language. This Medal is probably several places online but in a different language than English and why I can't find anything on it. :goofer:

So, do we have any foreign language peeps that want to take a stab at this? :bow:

19. bugboy

bugboy Junior Member

Hi there ... i was the guy who posted back in 2005

May i ask JudyAcs where yours came from ...?

All i still know about mine is the info i have on here after searching on and of for 3 years ... mine came from My grandfathers brother who lived in new york ...

The case it came in says Peekskill Telefactors N.Y to which ive found nothing about ........

its a frustrating mystery Mine does not have the writting on the edge ... could that be a later addition ??

Mine is a lot more tarnished ... should i clean it ... if so what with ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Area codes and zip codes. Maryland, New york, texas and more. Just an idea.
    I will probably be sitting here for hours googling.

21. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I am also thinking it could have been made in 1788 or in virginia. Because there are 10 stars possibly representing 10 states. And virginia was our 10th state. Or it could be another location.

EDIT: Disregard please highly doubt it was made in 1788.

Draft saved Draft deleted