What is a British crown worth?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by pjstack, Jan 2, 2009.

1. pjstack

pjstack Member

I don't mean what they sell for, I mean what is their equivalent in modern British money.

I have a 1965 Crown (Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse & Churchill on the reverse). but I have no idea where a "Crown" fits into the scheme of pounds, shillings, or pence. Actually, even if someone told me how many shillings it was worth, I'd still be in the dark!

What is the modern British equivalent of a Crown? Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

A Crown is worth 5 shillings, it's a step up from a Florin which was worth 2 Shillings.

Britain went to metric money in 1971, you would see these guys circulating into the early 90s although the Churchill pieces were mainly sold as souveniers.

Face value today is 25p (1 Shilling = 5p) or about 38c. Numismatic value? I think theyre worth a few dollars at best if still in the original snap case.

4. georgiansilver

georgiansilver Senior Member

Old English money... to the Pound.:-
    240 old pennies.... 480 old halfpennies..... 960 old farthings..... 80 threepences..... 40 sixpences..... 20 shillings..... ten florins (two shillings).... eight half crowns.... four crowns.... 2 ten shillings (notes)...... Hope that helps. Best wishes, Mike.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Until 1971 (decimalization), a crown was 5 shillings. Then, between 1971 and 1990, it was worth 25 pence. Don't know if these older pieces, such as that Churchill crown, can still be exchanged into current money. The modern equivalent, in terms of weight and size, are the commemorative £5 coins ...

Christian

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

And we still call them Crowns LOL we dont let go of the past that quickly :D

7. pjstack

pjstack Member

Thank you all very much! It's such an impressively sized coin I couldn't quite believe it was only 25 pence! Of course, British coins are pretty massive compared to American and Canadian coins.

Thanks again.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Those crowns (or the newer £5 crowns :) ) are not actually what you come across in circulation. So as far as modern coinage is concerned, there isn't that much of a difference except the British 2p coins which are large indeed. Then again, if the US and Canadian 0.50 coins were actually in use, they would be massive circulation coins indeed ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted