What Does it All Mean?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by midas1, Oct 31, 2009.

1. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I've been googling prices for high quality 2009 American Silver Eagle coins and the prices are all over the place. Most years, since they were issued, during the 80's I've bought at leaSt two proof ASE. This year the mint hasn't sold ASE proofs as far as I know. Any recommendations for fair dealer that sell these coins? I don't have an eBay account.

I've never known the US Mint to sell first strike coins but I see them all over the place. Are they worth the added price and how/where do the original purchasers find them?

What about Early Release coins? Do they sell at a premium over time?

I bought a gold american eagle 2009 MS70 early release and gold american buffalo 2009 MS70 early release. Over time does the "early release" earmark add any value to the coins? Both coins were graded by NGC.

Does it make sense to send a proof 2009 American Bufffalo coin to
    NGC or PGC to be graded. I know a lot of people did that with the gold UHR Saint Gaudens but then it no longer fits in the box that came with the coin.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

First release, first strike, early release, etc. are scams in my opinion. I also wouldn't pay to have a bullion coin graded unless you are very very [did I mention very] sure it will come back as a 70.

4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I agree. I believe the Mint did a good job w/ the 2009 UHR St. Gaudens. EBay was full of offers for the 2009 slabbed but IMO it ruined the nice presentation the Mint did w/ that coin. I really would like to see them create a 2oz UHR St Guadens because the 1oz coin is a bit small.

5. GoldenFire

GoldenFire Coin Hoarder

Two ounces? Two? I can’t even afford the one ounce coin! :headbang:

6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"Two ounces? Two? I can’t even afford the one ounce coin!

I hear you but it's a beautiful coin a bit small, imo.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No proof ASE's this year Midas. The mint shut us down in favor of "gold" and "platinum". As for those first stikes, stay away from them. They ain't worth the designation. Remember old fellow, these are bullion and they strke up rather well to begin with. Most of these coins grade '69 off the shelf....

8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Thanks Green18. I feel compelled to continue to buy two ASE every year so I'm have to figure out if which rating to buy from which dealer.
    I'm very pleased with the quality of all of the mint coins I've ever purchased.

9. green18

It's really a shame that there will be no proof ASE's this year. The mint really let the "little" guy down. Not everyone can afford to buy gold and platinum and I just don't buy into their (the mint's) hype that public demand precludes them from issuing a proof coin this year. Sheer and utter nonsense as far as I'm concerned.....

10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I believe the entire Government has let down the little guy not just the Mint.
    The Mint website has some kind of doublespeak statement about why they are only issuing gold They also reference some public law. They also claim they're having a tough time getting silver blanks.

11. green18

No problem getting blanks for the general public but when it comes to the collector there just isn't enough inventory to go around....

12. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

They should have a program for people who really want a proof ASE, mail them a normal issue 2009 bullion coin and 25$ and they melt it and make you a proof out of it :hail::hail:

13. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I've got to say Chief Bullsit AGB looks really cool slabbed though I can't tell the grading. I suspect it's a MS70.

14. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I just decided if my AGB arrives from the Mint in time to take it to the Whitman Show in Baltimore 11/12 - 15th I'm going to take the coin to
    the show and give it to PCGS for grading. I keep checking out Chief Bullsit graded AGB and decided I like it better then the Mint presentation.

Talking about presentation - the plastic holder used for the gold UHR Saint Gaudens doesn't do a good job. The UHR coin slides all around inside the plastic case. Since the coin is soft gold I'm sure it's getting damaged.
    Is there any way to protect the coin from moving around? Is there another coin capsule available that'll fit the wood mount inside the presentation case?

15. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

When it comes to need, I believe coin collectors and accumulators are way dowm on the scale, below the Somali Pirates.

Draft saved Draft deleted