What am I missing about this 50 Kopeck?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mike Willner, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just because a seller is asking $400 doesn't mean the coin is actually worth that.

4. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

I agree... but as a newbie I'd like to make sure I am not overlooking some nuance. Or, perhaps he is just grossly overcharging (I double checked, it is actually $500!).

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I would look elsewhere.

6. grivna

grivna Junior Member

I agree.

The terms of sale are particularly objectionable: "If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you may return it in original packaging and original condition within 7 days of receipt of the merchandise for a FULL REFUND of the purchase price less S&H and 10% restocking fee. Buyer is responsible for return shipping charges."

So, if the goods are not satisfactory, you pay shipping both ways and the seller penalizes you for using your (rather limited) return privilege by keeping 10% of your "full refund" as a "restocking fee" (in this case, $49.90).

With respect to the price demanded, Krause prices for Russian coins are almost completely useless because they are hopelessly out of date. But even so, I would not consider paying the asking price for this coin even if I agreed with the grading (which I do not).

7. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

On that note, where would I get more recent pricing other then what is being offered on line? Is there a world coin equivalent of Coin Dealers Newsletter or Coin Values?

8. grivna

grivna Junior Member

Not that I know.

Check auction prices at major dealers (Baldwin, Markov, Kuenker, M&M, UBS).

www.coinarchives.com is also worthwhile although the search function is awkward to use. Pay particular attention to when coins were auctioned because Russian coin prices, particularly for rare and/or choice coins, have been steadily climbing in recent years in terms of European currencies. The depreciation of the dollar against them has greatly magnified this effect for US buyers.

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If you are looking at Krause, let's say it's completely outdated as Russian coins have done a good job in making a nightmare for the editors of Krause to estimate a more realistic price. I am not too sure about the rarity about that particular year but I don't remember off seeing many coins of that particular year. Do check the market for the past price.

10. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

1914= RARE, but $200 would be a more realistic price in that condition (although the Russian market goes up and down like a yo-yo)

11. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

guys!!
    All he is asking is if that is a variety or something of the sort!
    All he wants to know is if the coin is really worth that, and if so, for what reason.... oye

12. grivna

grivna Junior Member

I think he's gotten some good answers and I haven't yet heard him complain about the replies he's received.

13. grivna

grivna Junior Member

What has been going down?:confused:

14. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

This has been a very educational discussion for me. I know that the Krause prices are not current, but I can't imagine a coin that tops out at $70 in the most recent Krause could really have jumped to $500.

I think I learned a combination of lessons: There are thieves on eBay, and even when they put "Nice Coin!" it doesn't mean they are kindly collectors looking to share their treasures with you. And, use the price guides as sanity checks. And, alway refer to your helpful friends on CoinTalk when in doubt.

Thanks, that was $500 NOT well spent.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Mike, Krause prices can be all over the place. Many, many times I have seen them be 2 to 10 times too low - and - 2 to 10 times too high. There really is no rhyme or reason.

But in many cases the Krause catalog is all we have to provide estimates for world coin values. And that is why, whenever anyone quotes an estimate of a world coin value, they typically preface their estimate by saying - this is what Krause says. That is because they know that the prices listed in the Krause catalog are basically meaningless.

Krause is no different than any other price guide in that regard. If you really want to know what the value of a world coin is then you have to look at realized auction prices. And I don't mean auction prices from ebay for they are also often meaningless because many of those bidding on ebay have no idea of value either.

What you have to look at are auction prices from recognized auction houses that sell world coinage. For typically the buyers at these auctions are well educated when it comes to values of world coinage and they don't over-pay or under-pay.

And the link provided by grivna earlier for Coin Archives is the best source that I know of.

16. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

Adding to the above replies... at the last coin show I was at a dealer, knowing I collect world coins, asked me if I have any Russian coins because, quote 'those are really hot now, very high demand, the market is ...blah blah...' So this seller could be of the same opinion or who knows, maybe even the same dealer. We live in such a conflict of 'sound advice' ~ we all know 'buy low, sell high' as the way to make it through life but the trend seems to be 'it's getting high, we need to buy before it get's any higher' ... so that combined with some people's logic of 'the more it cost, the better it must be' leads to some enterprising Ebay sellers like this one posting at high reserves just to see what happens. Could also be he really doesn't want to sell it but decides 'hey, if I 'do' sell at the price I listed, I'll mourn it all the way to the bank.' Just some more answers of why it could be listed so much higher than Krause.

17. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

"Why not just ask?", I thought...

So I sent the following question directly to the dealer via eBay messages... let's see what comes back:

"I'm very curious about the price of this item... as far as I can tell from other sources this coin even in finest condition is valued between $100 - $200. Is this some variety or rarity that is not reflected in Krause etc.? PLEASE don't take this question for anything other then a desire to understand... I'm definately not questioning your pricing in any way, I just want to make sure I am not overlooking an important coin."

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Apparently you didn't understand any of our posts - if you can find any of the Tsarist rubles, half ruble and quarter ruble at Krause price or even lower, good job. Otherwise, something is terribly wrong. Even counterfeited coins are going higher than Krause price so that should tell you something.

19. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

I understood the previous posts perfectly well. It just seems to me that the price is so far out of line that I should ask the seller... and possibly get the same answer but I'd like to hear it from him. Also, I obtained a 50 kopek, admittedly at a lower grade but not much below XF, for a fraction of this cost and pretty much in line with Krause. Maybe that dealer just didn't know the market.

20. grivna

grivna Junior Member

3 thoughts come to mind.

1. Maybe you got it from a dealer who doesn't know that Russian coins (especially rare and choice Russian coins) are in demand these days. This is possible, but not probable IMHO. Lucky you if this is the case.

2. Maybe the coin is a common date in mediocre condition or has problems and is therefore difficult to sell.

3. If neither of the above, are you sure that the coin is genuine? There is a flood of fake Russian coins (and other countries as well) coming from China, many of them being sold through ebay. The quantity and variety of fakes being offered suggests to me that this is no cottage industry, but rather an organized criminal operation, possibly with the connivance of the Chinese government.

No good Russian coin sells for peanuts these days unless stolen, counterfeit or offered by a person who hasn't got a clue what he's selling.

21. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Thank you all for a very enlightening discussion. I'm now concerned about the 3 - 4 coins I got on eBay at reasonable prices, even though they were pretty common 10-15-20 kopecks.

I don't think this is a question of common date, as the coin Y#58.2 is the only 50 kopeck minted in 1914. Mine is definitely is worse condition, and though I got it through a local dealer rather then eBay I'm wondering if it is fake.

But this thread has helped me pick up some key information:

- No, there is no other 1914 50 kopeck not listed in Krause that I am not aware of.

- Yes, it is entirely possible for a coin listed in Krause at $70 in UNC to be going for hundreds of dollars.

- Yes, it is important to be cautious buying Russian (and probably other) coins on eBay due to the flood of fakes offered there.

- It never hurts to ask the seller: by the way, he responded very nicely referring me to a similar coin in MS63 condition that auctioned for $1200!

Again, thanks for all the discussion on this.
    Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted