What about Palladium?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by shatsi, Apr 18, 2006.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

This doesn't seem to be the right area for this but I don't know where else to post it.

Everybody talks about Gold, Silver & Platinum but hardly mention Palladium. Its also a metal that has been increasing gradually.

What are your thoughts? Does anybody collect the Palladium Maple Leafs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

All metals have been increasing with the increase in the usage of them. However, the usage of certain metals makes them the talk of the land. Since Gold, Silver and even Platinum are used for coinage, jewlry, electrical contacts, teeth, figureins, etc., their value is more of an interest to the general populace. You may note that Uranium, Plutonium, Radium are also of great value but not used for coins lately so no one on this forum worries about them. Now that may be something to contact the Mint about. If coins were made of Radium for instance, they wouldn't get lost so easily. They would always glow regardless of where they are. If you dropped one in a well, at the beach, in a park, anywhere, you could find them by just looking for the glow. Now think about how impressive it would be when you opened up a Whitman or Dansco Album in a dark room and the entire collection glowed enough to light the room.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You guys all missed the boat with this metals business - all this time everyone has been buying gold, silver, copper, platinum etc. And the whole time you should have buying something else. It has increased by factors of 10 more than any of those metals in even less time. Any idea what it is ? :secret:

You're not gonna believe this - common ordinary rebar. It's increased in cost almost 500% in the last two years alone :eek:

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Apart from Canada,3 other British Commonwealth countries have had palladium coins - Australia,Tonga,& the Hutt River Province Principality.

Aidan.

6. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

What?

7. GDJMSP

That's right - I'm not kidding.

8. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Any idea what the price was on Palladium 2 years back?

9. GDJMSP

CLICK HERE

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

11. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Nice, it would have been worth to invest in it.

12. kiyardo

kiyardo Senior Member

Problem is that anyone who owned those coins wouldn't live long enough to really enjoy the "glow". And, God forbid if a terrorist got a hold of those coins.:yawn:

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

1. Not to long ago in this very country watches had Radium treated hands and dialed numbers to make them glow. There is insufficient radiation in a watch to trully cause MAJOR problems. The same would be true of a coin if only coated with a small amount.
    2. This process was banned due to the individuals in the watch making places were dipping the brushes in their mouths to keep the materials damp enough to adhear better. Over a period of time the very minute amount of Radiation built up to create radiation sicknesses.
    3. If our coins were treated with minor amounts of Radium over a period of time it would acually cause problems if carried with you all the time. However, a terrorist would have to accumulate many millions of such coins to be able to refine enough to make anything more than a glowing terrorist.
    4. Now for GDMMSP. You didn't stipulate what type of Rebar. As you may well know there are many grades and sizes of Rebar. True, the plastic coated rebar is very expensive. Just raw steel rebar of a low grade steel is fairly cheap. Since there are numerous grades of stainless steels, any Rebar with a grade of 440 would probably cost more than the Radium treated coins I was proposing.
    5. Anyone know that at one time in our history Aluminum was valued as more than Gold or Silver or Platinum.

14. GDJMSP

Just the ordinary stuff Carl - grade 40 & grade 60 rebar. Standard stuff for reinforcing in concrete. And trust me, it aint cheap compared to what it was 2 yrs ago.

By the way - did you know that in the '50 they DID irradiate a coin - it was the Roosevelt dime. You can still find them for sale from time to time.

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Not to drag out the rebar thing in a coin forum to long but in the downtown area of Chicago a few years ago they rebuilt a major street called Wacker Drive. A multi lever street. All the rebar used was green plastic coated and the cost of that rebar was rediculous but since paid for by tax payers, who cares.
    No I didn't know about the Roosevelt irradiated Dimes. Now you got me turning off the lights when I open my dime albums.

16. GDJMSP

Oooops - memory is failing me again - it was the '60s - HERE and HERE

17. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

This is interesting, I've never heard of Rebar before.

18. ussaty

ussaty Senior Member

It's mainly used to re-enforce concrete: roads, driveways, sidewalks....

Draft saved Draft deleted