Were there ever any 1933 U.S. quarters?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Drago the Wolf, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Drago the Wolf

Drago the Wolf Junior Member

I remember reading, a lot of years ago, that the current (well, pre-1999) George Washington quarter was only supposed to be a special one year thing in 1932, and that the Mint did not produce any quarters in 1933, but due to popular demand, the Washington quarter was brought back into circulation in 1934. So, were there ever any 1933 quarters somehow produced? I thought I've heard of an illegal production of a few 1933 quarters, so, do 1933 quarters exist?

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nss

nss Gold Plated Member

No known examples of quarters were made in 1933.

[​IMG]

How's that for confusing?

4. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Nice photshop job:)

No genuine 1933 quarter dollars exist.

Thanks,
    Bill

capthank and Stevearino like this.
  5. coin_man_95

coin_man_95 Senior Member

what?!?!?! i bought a 1933 s washington quarter today on ebay fro $1200!!! :)

6. mlmummert

mlmummert Junior Member

From a guy in China who found it in an unsearched roll in his late grandmother's attic and knows nothing about coins?:high5:

7. coin_man_95

coin_man_95 Senior Member

exactly!!!!!! he also needed the money!!!!! that made me want it even more!!! :)

Stevearino and eddiespin like this.
  8. frankietoo

frankietoo New Member

I just found a 1933 quarter. Here it says they don't exist. Can someone clear this up?

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, I recently ordered one from CT member Daniel Carr... I'll post pics as soon as I receive. If anyone wants to buy the elusive '33, they're available on his site:
    http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-4-4-1-2-2-2-3-3-1.aspx

If anyone is familiar with DC's coins, they know the quality of the strikes are above reproach, and the value only increases (which is well documented by searching completed eBay listings).

Cazkaboom likes this.
  10. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

And people said that the Carr counterfeits would never confuse people

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

At least he doesn't deface them with that stupid "COPY" stamp.:)

SlipperySocks and eddiespin like this.
  12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Can't copy something that's non-existant ;)

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

True... and that's why NONE of DC's coins are considered counterfeit. Of course, we've argued this endlessly in the past on CT, but silentnviolet gets it... something that is nonexistent cannot be copied or counterfeited.

john65999 likes this.
  14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Thanks for the reminder as I still had not ordered one of these!

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The design is not his original design, it is the US government's design. All he changed was a date. Has he paid or received permission for such use? I do consider them counterfeit myself. His actual non- US designs fine, they are fantasy coins, and deserve accolades, the others should be marked. Would his fans consider them acceptable if they were perhaps a 1922 S Lincoln cent? That didn't exist either. IMO.

wxcoin, johnmilton and coinsareus10 like this.
  16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

With all due respect Jim (and you are certainly entitled to your opinion) the majority of CT members disagree with you (according to the linked thread below). No sense in rehashing all this over again, but the linked thread certainly makes interesting reading for some of the newer members and offers considerable insight to DC's work.
    http://www.cointalk.com/threads/daniel-carr.204044/

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I meant no disrespect either. I like the design ( of course I would since it is the original government design). Being in the Majority has never been a necessity in my life as long as I felt I was in the right :)

wxcoin, PlanoSteve, LA_Geezer and 2 others like this.
  18. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I feel so alone :(

Stevearino and dleemc1 like this.
  19. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Jim I'm like you when it comes to being right or wrong , when I feel strongly I'm in the right then I stick to my feelings. I also think you are right about saying coins like the 33 quarter are counterfeit. here's the problem with coins like this . some corrupt ebay sellers and there are lots of this type selling on ebay may buy a group of these coins and lie as usual and sell them as original US mint coins. then here comes some new coin collectors not knowing any better pays a fortune for this counterfeit stuff . later on they may learn they got burned badly and this may cause them to give up collecting. I'm ok with Mr. Carr's fantasy coins but not the ones that are so close to our US coins , IMO this is a disaster waiting to happen. I wonder what the FBI would say about this if they knew what was going on.

rzage likes this.
  20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I hope this was just a joke

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm with DesertGem, I consider them Counterfeit as well and as read the HPA to me they seem to definitely be in violation of it as well. Daniel doesn't agree and he believe that the government not bothering to spend the tiem to shut down his small operation to be a declaration that they are legal. (Kinda of along the logic that if a cop sees you speeding but doesn't bother to pull you over that this is an admission that speeding is legal.)

wxcoin, PlanoSteve and rzage like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted