Wat's dis???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swick, May 29, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

My sister got me this a few years ago when she was visiting Florida. I do know that the coin is from a ship wreck. I can't find the C.O.A. for the coin. Does anyone know what coin this is? And from what ship wreck? Thanks to all!

swick

so sorry about the pictures. I'll try to get some better pictures now.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

so blurry its hard to tell, does it say carolus IIII or IV or III on it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Swick,it looks like a 1 Real from Mexico.The Mo. mintmark of the Mexico City Mint is the big giveaway.

Aidan.

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Try turning on the macro on your camera. It should be a button with a flower on it.

6. swick

swick New Member

More pictures. The date on the coin is 1783. The picture on the coin looks like the bottom picture that Drusus has posted. As a matter of fact, that IS the coin! Hope this helps, and thanks again!

swick

Attached Files:

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Looks like a 2 Reale worth about $15-$25 dollars.

Ben

8. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

That's due to motion blur. Caused by not enough light (slow shutter) and camera movement. Macro will only make it worse, though it actually looks like it may be in focus (the blur kills any hope though).

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

that's why you need a tripod, thats when my pics got better

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

swick - what's the date on that - it looks like 1765. If it is, it's a fake.

11. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Looks like 1765...which is worrying. The mount removes any value that common series has...

12. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

GD and Jerome
    Ummm, it looks like the date might be 1783.

13. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

The mount is easily remove it you wanted to...non issue...its a cool coin type...I love the portraits of Charles III

14. swick

swick New Member

I wish that I could think of the ship wreck that the coin came from. It is dated 1783, and the coin is EXACTLY like the last picture that Dusus posted above. What is it then? Thanks to all!!

swick

15. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

The front means it is a Spanish Coin (some form of reale) with the portrait of Charles III...if you can...tell me what the reverse lettering is and I cant tell you exactly what it is...its just hard with the photos, I cant read the reverse and dont want to make guesses but it looks like a 2 reale as said before. I think the mint is Mexico City... if it has an M°.

16. swick

swick New Member

The back reads "Hispana, ET IND, R M F". The "M" has a small "0" or "o" above it....probably the small "o".
    Any help?

swick

17. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

the M and the small O above means it is a coin minted in Mexico under spanish rule.

Its a 2 Reale. there should be a 2R around 9 or 10 o clock on the reverse but your seems very worn in that area...

18. swick

swick New Member

Drusus,
    You are VERY knowledgeable about this type of coin. What do the words "Pecunia non olet" mean? Thank you again for your help! You've been great! So has everyone else! Thanks to ALL of yinz!!

19. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

It means 'money does not smell'...its the answer given by the Roman Emperor Vespasian when critisized by his son Titus for introducing a tax on public toilets. :)

20. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Pucunia is derived from the word for cattle, the oringinal money.

21. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Pecudes does mean cattle and we know that the early greeks used oxen as a means of valuation. X amount of gold = 1 oxen. Before this, livestock was a major means of evaluating the wealth of a person. Tribal societies still use livestock as a medium of exchange and valuation.

Draft saved Draft deleted