Washington on one side Lincoln on the other

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gofy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. gofy

gofy Member

Tou have all been kind to me since I started to post.

I hope you will continue to help me by identifing this coin - token - or what ever it is.

The coin is the size of a us penny. color is also similar.

Washington bust is on one side and Lincoln' is on the other.

Both images ar raised higher above the surface of the coin that you would find in a coin minted for circulation.

There is no date or any literals.

What is it... Please help identify it.

Thank you
    Gofy

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Becky

Becky Darkslider

I can't help you with the medal, it's beautiful btw, but I can say thanks for all your interesting coins that you have posted!! I have enjoyed each and every one.:high5: ;)

4. gofy

gofy Member

Thank you ..

I enjoy shareing them.

And I understand that others know more about them tham I do. I enjoy learning about them.
    Gofy

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Here is your medal,issued by the US Mint?:)
    I think they still sell them.

Attached Files:

6. gofy

gofy Member

I have been to the mint web site and was unable to find any information on the medal.

Can you post any links to info on this medal?

Thanks

Gofy

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Are you sure that's a US Mint-issed medal? I don't recall ever seeing any medals from the Mint without any inscription whatsoever.

8. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

No,I'm not sure,hence the question mark in my post.Here is where I found the dubious info and picture,with a reference number of #605 which COULD be a discontinued Mint number BUT,like you,I've never seen a medal minted by them with no inscription.
    (medal is about 2/3 of the way down the page) http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes...edals/OtherTokensMedals/OtherTokensMedals.htm

9. gofy

gofy Member

thank you

I followed your link and then Googled the description: which led me to several E Bay listings.

Some claiming that the origional minting of 1876 was in silver with a modern minting in copper in 1960.

Similar medals on ebay made dissimilar claims... buyer beware.

I did find a slabed and certified medal that correspondes to the following information....

"Undated Barber Washington-Lincoln Medal MS62 NGC. Baker-246A, R.4. Bronze, 18mm. Paquet's Washington bust (the Baker-245 obverse) is paired with William Barber's Lincoln bust. No legends are present. According to Rulau, this medal was struck at the U.S. Mint from 1868 through the 1890s. The olive-brown matte fields are undisturbed."

Images attached

Attached Files:

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Wow...good job gofy!

11. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

There are other U.S. Mint tokens that are extremely similar in appearance. Check the truncation of the bust for an identifier.

a small "P" on Washington's bust indicates the series by Paquet, possibly Baker 245B (bronze)(1864-1866)

Baker 245E was struck in white metal, but I only mention this one as it was probably struck outside the Mint and after 1868.

Baker 245R was struck in yellow bronze, and is a current Mint restrike which is still available.

A "P" on the truncation of Lincoln's bust indicates Baker 245T, struck in bronze.

"PAQUET" on truncation of Lincoln's bust indicates Baker 245X (bronze).

A small "B" incused on the truncation of Lincoln's bust would indicate Baker 246A (bronze), which was the U.S. Mint series by Barber.

All are 18mm in diameter. Other metals were also used. I can probably provide a bit more information if you can determine which of the above types you have.

12. gofy

gofy Member

Thank you...

On my coin

On the base of Washington's bust.... closer to the hair is a "P"
    on the lincoln bust in a similar position is a "B"

What does this indicate ... as it relates to my coin/medal?

Gofy

13. gofy

gofy Member

I'm confused........By you post

My coin has a "P' on washington and a "B" on Lincoln.

I could not understand from your resopnse if I should expect one "P" "B" "PAQUET" or multiples.

As mentioned above my coin / medal has a "p" on washington and "B" on Lincoln

Gofy

14. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

That indicates that you have the Baker 246A, same as the slab you found. The obverse (Washington) of Baker 246A is the same obverse as Baker 245. You already have most of the info for that id. The only thing I can provide in addition to what you already know is some pricing.

Current pricing (lists) for most exonumia is very hard to come by, aside from checking current selling prices such as on ebay. The reference I was using is "Medallic Portraits of Washington", 2nd edition by Russell Rulau and George Fuld (1999). Baker 246A listed for $10 in VF, $15 in EF, and $22.50 in Unc.

15. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Sorry for the confusion. To key in all of the description wording to determine an id can be lengthy and time consuming. I just entered enough in an attempt to get the info I would need to correctly id your item. It worked! :)

16. gofy

gofy Member

Thank you

I am not an avid collector nor dealer.

I am trying to research and document what I have accomulated for the benifit of my grandchildren,

My wife an I are planing on giving all of my accumulation to them.

I hope the coins / medals will be more relevant to them with the responses from this forum and additional research

Gofy

17. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Your most welcome gofy. I'll be glad to try and help if you have any other tokens/medals that you are not familiar with.

18. gofy

gofy Member

cwtokenman

I have another post in this section titled "second to none coin / medal"

it is an indian cent with date on obv and the "Second to none Moto and 1960 date on the rev.

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide

Thanks
    Gofy

19. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

This medal was issued by the U.S. Mint. This series of presidential medals were also available in a silver variety. Its catalog number is "607 Paquet."

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted