Vegas acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GDJMSP, Mar 7, 2005.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Didn't have time for quality pics today, but I always scan the new coins for insurance purposes so I can share those for now.

This first coin is an 1809 8 reales struck in Mexico. When I first saw this coin I had to do a double take - it has Proof like surfaces :eek: Sadly - it does show some rub on the high points which would keep it from grading UNC. Even so, it's still the nicest one of the type I have ever personally seen.

obverse

reverse

Next are some French coins - the first is a 1659-D 1/12th ecu.

obverse

reverse

Andy, you're gonna love this next one :D I already own a slabbed, high grade example of this coin - but when I saw this one raw - just had to buy it ;) It's not quite as nice as my other example, but I'd say it's an honest MS64. An 1848-A French 20 francs.

obverse

reverse

This is another raw coin, an 1868 French 5 francs. It is design that I could just never find the right coin so I never purchased one. But this one - this one is gorgeous ! The scans don't show it of course, but the obverse has a ring of iridescent blue around the rim. And the reverse is covered with shades of purple & blue that flash at you in the light :D If it were not for the one small rim ding on the reverse - I belive this coin would grade MS67.

obverse

reverse

And the last of the French coins, a 1895-A 20 francs angel.

obverse

reverse

This is the last one I'm going to post today - a 1791 Netherlands ducaton, also known as a silver rider. I bought this coin because the detail is all there and it would grade UNC. Unfortunately it has been dipped and the luster is not there. But the price was right so I bought it anyway ;)

obverse

reverse

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Love those first year 20 franc angels myself as well. It's amazing that a coin that fine was never slabbed. I was wondering what would you consider the first orginal angel coin, the Louis d'or 1792 or the 24 livres coin of the first republic of 1793?
    If anyone reading this doesn't know already, I collect the 20 gold francs of 1802 - 1914. However, my collection is just slightly below GD's, well maybe a bit more then slightly. But at least we know that we will never be bidding against each other:)

4. joesmom

joesmom Member

WOWEE!!
    The 20 Francs literally took my breath away! I've never been drawn to gold before but those beauties are spectacular. I've always had a weakness for angels and considered pursuing coins with them in the design but I think I'll have to give up that idea because they would all pale in comparison.
    Truly stunning GD...hat's off to ya ;)

5. cush66

cush66 New Member

OK, Im going to go cry and sulk in the corner now LOL!!! Gorgeous coins!!!

6. rick

rick Coin Collector

Fantastic! I loved... LOVED... the 8 reales - you know how to pick them! beautiful piece.

I've seen you post a ducaton before, after the last one you posted, I have been searching - I can't find anything close to that quality, and there now you have at least two.

When I go to vegas, I'm lucky if I have enough money left over to get back home... let alone bring anything back.

that 8 reales is absolutely stunning.

7. GDJMSP

Hmmmm - did ya see ths one ? HERE

Wellllllllllll - I did take along quite a few coins to sell - which I did. And - Lady Luck smiled upon me at the crap table :D

I only hope I can manage to capture it with my camera when I have the time - but the fields of that 8 reales are actually reflective :eek:

8. GDJMSP

Don't be so quick to give up Robin - the 20 francs angels are quite affordable. Even in high grades most of them are under $150 ;)

9. joesmom

joesmom Member

Gosh darn it GD...ya had to go and tell me that! Do you have any idea how many of those buggers I was drooling over last night on ebay? Good thing I don't know or trust any of the sellers or I would have gone hog wild :D . Looks like another addition to my 'want list' for the next local show.

Ya know, my hubby is not going to be too pleased with you for introducing me to gold. Up until now I think he felt like he dodged the bullet on that one...he was very happy that I was content with silver...until now... :p

10. GDJMSP

Geeeez Robin - and here I thought you would have had that part figured out by now :rolleyes:

It's quite easy really - just show him ( you can use ebay ) what a US gold coin of comparable age, rarity, & grade would cost. Then tell him I suggested that you collect gold angels instead because you can save him sooooooo much money :D

Why by the time you're done - he'll be verrrrry happy with me for suggesting it ;)

And you'll have your angels !!

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

GDJMSP,your Dutch silver Rider is from Utrecht.All the Dutch provinces issued coins with a similar design,but differing slightly in the legends & the Coats-of-Arms.

I afraid to say this about your 1868A silver 5 Francs
    of Emperor Napoleon III.It looks slightly stained on the reverse,but the design of the coin itself is very pleasing.

As to the French Angel coins,it was the gold 1 Louis
    D'Or of 1792 that was the first to bear this design.
    These coins of King Louis XVI were also struck in 1793 as well.

Aidan.

12. joesmom

joesmom Member

Gosh GD, you make it sound sooo easy...LOL. Something tells me it will take a whole lot more than that to convince him that this is a good idea. But that's OK, I'm up to the task ;) :eek:

13. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

"As to the French Angel coins,it was the gold 1 Louis
    D'Or of 1792 that was the first to bear this design.",Aidan

Aidan thank you for your answer and I appreciate your thought on my question but is it a Louis D'Or coin or is it an angel coin. I was thinking that even if the 1792 D'Or had an Angel on the reverse it should not be considered an Angel coin for the Angel was a secondary aspect to the design of the coin whereas the 24 livres coin of the first republic of 1793 was the first coin, as far as I know, to have the angel on the observe which would make the angel the primary design of the coin and in my mind the first angel coin. That is just what I thought and I was wondering what GD and the standard line in the coin community was on this one.

JoesMom, be careful with your proposed venture into the world of gold. My plans were first to collect the 20 franc Napoleons and now here I am assembling a collection of every 20 franc gold coin design, not every coin thru, from 1802 to 1914. 13 down and I believe 6 more to go counting the last 100 days 1815 coin.

14. GDJMSP

No reason to be afraid to say it - that's how it looks in the scan. But in real life it looks entirely different ;) What you think looks like a stain is the way the scanner picks up the toning on the coin. Wait until I do images with a digital camera - then you'll see the difference.

Of course you may be of the opinion that toning is a stain.

The Louis d'or was struck up to and including 1793 - but at no time did the coin bear the angel design. The obverse has the bust of the king and the reverse the arms of France.

These were the only gold coins struck during the revolutionary period - there were no other French gold coins issued until the rule of Napoleon as Consul.

Andy is correct in his comment that the 24 livres of 1793 was the first coin to have the angel design on the obverse of the coin. But the angel design, though slightly different, was used on the 15 sols and the 30 sols as early as 1791. The angel design was not used on a gold coin until 1848.

15. GDJMSP

Time to open mouth - insert foot :eek:

This is incorrect - it's what I get for trusting my memory instead of looking it up :rolleyes:

Aidan was correct - they did issue a gold coin with the angel on the reverse in 1792 & 1793. It was known as the Louis de 24 livres. They also issued another gold coin in 1793 with the angel on the obverse and a wreath on the reverse marked with a value of 24 livres.

16. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Personally, I think that a person could gather a nice collection of French coins with the angel design or variations of it. Of course the 100 gold francs make this a non-collection for me.

I remember as a student hearing the story of Napoleon carrying a gold angel coin in his pocket for good luck. I was always curious of the facts behind the story and which coin it was.

GD, I have noticed a few other 1848 angels on the market. This is after 2 years of not seeing any. One was on e-bay last night. However, the ones that I am seeing appear to be low grade coins with the exception of your two beauties. Not only do you have the eye, the resources, the background knowledge but you seem to be a good detective as well with finding those "angels".

My white cotton gloves are off to you and I wave you a salute.

17. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The coins of King Louis XVI which have the angel design are from a series known as the 'Constitutional' series.There is also a coin of King Louis XVII,which also has this design,but interestingly,it also has the legend 'REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE' on the reverse.

GDJMSP,if you are looking for the mintmark on the reverse of the coins of Emperor Napoleon III,then you are looking in the wrong place.The mintmark is
    on the obverse below the truncation towards the back of the portrait.

Aidan.

18. GDJMSP

The gold angel is legendary for the stories of luck associated with it. Yes it is said that Napoleon carried one in his pocket - he lost it the night before the Battle of Waterloo. Andre Dupre, the man who devised the design, was sentenced to the guillotine during the French Revolution, but he managed to bribe his guard with a coin bearing the design and make his escape. There are countless stories of amazing luck involving the gold angel.

19. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

GDJMSP,please take a look at your 18th Century Krause & turn to the 'Pretender Issues' section.You will see a coin in the name of King Louis XVII.This also is a very attractive coin.

20. GDJMSP

Now that one you're gonna have to show me.

21. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

GDJMSP,it is in a section between the old currency coins of the 1st Republic & the decimal coins.The piece in question is a 12 Deniers,I think.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted