Value of gold plated coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WinterNight, Jul 27, 2008.

1. WinterNight

WinterNight New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome to CoinTalk, WN.

I hate to be the one to tell you but you got ripped off. Gold plating destroys any numismatic value a coin has to a true coin collector. Your coins are basically worth their metal content (for the Mercury dime and Walker half) - around $8.50 at today's spot price of silver - and face value for the other coins. So I would say the set is worth around $9 total.

A word of advice - don't buy anything from Littleton. Their prices are double to triple what you would pay at a good coin shop.

And don't buy gold plated coins.

4. WinterNight

WinterNight New Member

Really???:eek: I had no idea. Thank you so much for telling me!! I bought them when I was 13 and didn't know any better. I will be staying away from Littleton Coin Co. forever.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Hey, we all make mistakes. At least that one was not a BIG one. Don't let it sour your desire to collect coins. There are LOTS of good places to buy coins without being taken. If you ask for opinions here on CoinTalk before you buy you will improve your chances of making a good buy (or avoiding a bad one).

6. Sas

Sas New Member

Super glad that i had found this thread!
    I had never even heard of gold plated coins until I came across them on a pending online auction and was doubting their validity but was pretty willing take a chance ... not any more and definitely not at the pricing they're asking for the "buy it now" let alone start up bid.
    Thanks for the valuable information!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. waterfallARK

waterfallARK New Member

What about 24k gold coins that are nickel plated (these would be commemorative coins)? Thanks.

8. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Original tread is almost 9 years old

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Do you mean nickle clad coins plated in gold? As I don't think anyone would plate a gold coin. If the nickle clad plated with 24k gold, basically the face value of the coin. The reason most plating is deceptive is that the thickness given is many times less than aluminum foil. have a photo?

Draft saved Draft deleted