value of 1990-d jefferson missing fs

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bruce 1947, May 24, 2007.

1. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Anyone know the value of a 1990-D Jefferson Nickel missing the designer's initials (FS). the grade is au-58 ?

Bruce.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Bruce:
    The variety is not listed in Cherrypickers, so I don't know where else to look.
    Good luck.

4. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

5. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

I have only seen a couple sources that actually mentioned this variety, I have never seen one for sale or seen a suggested price for it... I ran extended searches on closed auction listings on ebay and nothing there, nothing on google... hmmm... priceless...I'll give ya $XX for it... lol

6. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

I have never even seen a picture of this variety... Besides the missing FS are there any other fine details missing from the coin or subdued from the polishing of the dies?

7. jody526

jody526 New Member

Not listed in CONECA's Top 100 Jefferson Nickel Varieties either.

I'd be curious to learn more about this.
    It isn't well documented, so info is hard to find.

I'd have to assume that a number of coins were struck from an over-polished die, but that's just an assumption.
    Would love to see some detailed photos, and possibly get an "FS" number assigned to it.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since the initials are on the original model that is reduced to create the master hub, there are four ways you can have missing initials. Overpolished dies, severe die wear, filled die, and broken hub. (Raised letters on the hub have broken off.) Personally the only one I would find interesting would be the broken hub. But if the hub was broken there would most likely be MULTIPLE dies with the missing initials and they would be fairly common.

9. grizz

grizz numismatist

i agree with conder101

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Thought of a fifth way, broken die (cud in the area below the bust).

11. jody526

jody526 New Member

Not a bad idea. ;)

12. tommypski

tommypski Coinaholic

I just foun a 1999-D Jefferson with no FS. So this could be a pretty common occurance

13. tommypski

tommypski Coinaholic

I will sell it on ebay and let you know what it's worth. LOL. No but really, I will post it there and see if anyone bites.

14. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

we need ansers! i have a 2000 d no fs.

15. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I know your title is "digging up old threads", but for god sakes, this thread is 6 years old. You'd get better responses if you started your own thread.

16. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I agree, Bruce 1947 hasn't posted since 2010.

Speaking of whom, where did he go?

18. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

9 years later, and we still don't have a definitive answer. Most of my sources seem to indicate it was an overpolished die. Values I've been seeing are in the $2-3 range for circulated grades. $4-5 and up for Uncirculated grades...

19. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

I sold one on Ebay for $4 a couple years ago. I found a few more in circulation but stopped pulling them because lack of interest.

John77 likes this.
  20. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I put one up on eBay just for kicks the other day, and while I got lots of views, no bids... so I ended the auction early as I didn't want someone snipping it for 5 cents at the last minute... A guy just offered me $2+ shipping for it... I'd grade it XF/AU... this is pretty much in line with what I've been able to find as far as pricing goes... In all of my years of searching, I've found 10 of them total.

Draft saved Draft deleted