Value Impact of Coin Cleaning

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mwhistle, Dec 2, 2009.

1. mwhistle

mwhistle Junior Member

I tried the forum's search feature, but could not find the exact answer. Maybe the question cannot be easily answered, but I'll ask it. In general, how much is a coin's value reduced if it has been cleaned? How about if it's only lightly cleaned? Any examples? Thank you for your comments.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Most coins cleaned under any circumstance *but a few if you search on the subject* usually degrades the value 50%-80%.

Beefer518 likes this.
  4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

A search of the archives on the various auction sites (Teletrade, Heritage, Ebay) will turn up lots of data on cleaned coins. It really depends on the coin, how hard it is to find, how valuable it is without problems, how severe the cleaning, how much the value changes with the grade.

Keep in mind that cleaned coins tend to have a limited audience, so dealer cash offers tend to be quite a bit lower. The percentage discount for cleaning will vary greatly depending on selling or buying and who is doing the selling or buying.

5. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Value depends on many, many factors.

Value depends on many, many factors. When asking a question like this you need to be much more clear on what you want to learn.
    I will try to give you the long answer, the short answer and the "it depends answer, (which is always the most true answer for any question ever asked)!

Long answer - it depends! If an other wise mint state coin worth $1000 (not cleaned) is harshly cleaned the value could drop to $200, maybe less.
    If lightly cleaned or conditioned by an true expert it may end up being worth $1200. If a common circ. coin that is not a key or semi-key is cleaned who cares??? If cleaning takes away metal to any degree except micoscopic the coin can be ruined. If on copper it changes the origianal color it may be ruined - they stand out a mile away.
    And on and on and on, volumes can be written about this and it takes about 10 years to even start to get grasp on your questions.

The short answer: It depends, most cleaned coins will lose on average at least 3 grades so if low AU it should end up being a fine, maybe a high fine but still a fine.

The it depends answer, ahh, you guessed it "It depends"!!!

To have a good amount of knowledge on this subject like any subject takes years and looking at 10's of thousands of coins. Cleaned coins are problem coins, hard to sell, hard to buy, hard to trade - they have started to be ruined and it will effect their value and life. Nobody wants them and they should be priced as such.

If you are looking for a guild to pricing cleaned coins there is no such thing other than the one you will (over time ) establish in your own mind.

6. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Sort of already well explained. The amount of cleaning, the method of cleaning, additional polishing, buffing, how long ago was cleaned and many other situations change the values. Then too a really rare coin if cleaned has less of a problem with value. For example a 1913 Liberty Nickel, if cleaned would not matter to much but a buyer would surely say I wish it hadn't been cleaned.
    If you ever watch the Antique Road Show you would hear many times about cleaning old items. In some instances it lowers the value really excessively. Again, the amount of cleaning could really make a difference. And too with coins sometimes it is really difficult to see cleaning if done well.
    There are always exceptions to anything. If someone really just needs a coin to complete a set or collection, many will ignor the cleaning aspect if not done horribly. And some do try for such cleaned coins due to the lower prices.

7. leemw

leemw Junior Member

Cleaning a 1955 double die penny?

I have 1955 double die penny. My mom worked in a diner back in the 1950's and came across 3 of this coins over the years. They have sat in a cigar box for 50 years.
    Should I clean this coin? They say you can not hurt a circulated coin by cleaning it. Does that go for the few more valuable circulated coins as well? Any guess the value of this coin?

Attached Files:

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't know who says that but they are definitely wrong. DO NOT clean the coins !

As for value, we need better pics to be able to judge, those are too small.

Beefer518 and Bob Evancho like this.
  9. bhp3rd

Don't clean any coin until you been around at least 10 years

Don't clean any coin until you been around at least 10 years.

10. rh287

rh287 Junior Member

I think I read PCGS will grade dipped coins as long as you don't dip them too much. Say only once. I have a 1900 O Morgan Deep Mirror PL VAM 15 with 12" mirrors I dipped...Hope they will grade it.

11. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Akkkk I think 99% of all coins minted before 1970 have been cleaned at one time or another. Its just a matter of how badly damaged it is from whizzing. Traci

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Leemw,

The 55/55 DDO Coin you show is well worth sending to a professional conservator, not cleaned by even a well experienced person. It needs to have the corrosion removed or inactivated to protect the coin. I couldn't see the reverse, but IMO, it is well worth 1000+, due to its popularity. There will be people who would buy hoping to be able to conserve it themselves and make some money, but I would send it in first myself.

Jim

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree with Jim, the needs to be sent to NCS. Whatever you do, do not attempt to do anything yourself or you could throw about $800 out the window.

14. bhp3rd

But you do not dip copper ever.

But you do not dip copper ever.

15. leemw

leemw Junior Member

Thanks to all. I will forward the info to my two brothers who have similar pennies. The 3 pennies were misplaced after my mom passed away. I told my brother if I had a penny for every time someone mentioned the 3 1955 double die pennies I would have more pennies in the jar then the 1955 was worth. I guess I was wrong. Never thought they might be worth $1000 or more. I will do the right thing by these coins and let a professional do the cleaning and have them graded. They should be be enjoyed and treasured for the next generation.

Beefer518 likes this.
  16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Don't just let a "professional" clean them. Make sure it is NCS. Any other course of action could be very very very [did I mention very] disappointing when you go to have it graded.

Beefer518 likes this.
  17. leemw

leemw Junior Member

Thanks
    I went to the NCS web site it seemed like a fair price for the service provided

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Or you could save the cost of that service by sending those coins to me. I will take care of them for you for the next hundred years or so. :D
    Just kidding. Nice coins to have. And your making the right decission on how to handle them.

19. leemw

leemw Junior Member

My mom had 3 coins and 3 sons
    I have 1 coin and 2 sons. I will most likely sell my coin and purchase 2 maritime paintings, enjoy the art on the wall for all the years I have left and have something to give to my 2 sons
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

20. mwhistle

mwhistle Junior Member

Thank you all for your comments. I learned a lot from the responses.

21. leemw

leemw Junior Member

I have learned if your are not sure, just ask. Most people are ready, willing to help you and share their knowledge. Thinking that my circulated coin would be not devalued by my cleaning it was the wrong. Take 10 minutes and ask!! You will get an answer.
    Thanks again to all

Beefer518 and Bob Evancho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted