Used Coin Safe

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jess, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Jess

Jess Senior Member

Need some recommendations on what to do with my coin safe. It is not cost effective to ship as it is heavy. thx a2J

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

What about advertising it in one of thos regional trade publications, like you see next to newspaper stands?

4. Art

Art Numismatist?

Bring it to the coin club meeting and sell it there. Should get a decent amount of interest...especially is the price is right.......;-)

5. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Where are you located? I'm in the market for a safe.
    Nick

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

Hey guys, PM each other.

7. Art

Art Numismatist?

Not to change the subject here, too much. I have a few of those Sentry boxes that I keep some coins in. One of the guys at the local club told me that there are chemicals released from the "plastic" coating and insulation that harm the coins.

Anyone have any real insight on this?

8. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I have heard of that before, but my understanding is that the chemicals are embedded in the plastic and therefor pose no threat to coins. You could place some silica gel inside to be safe.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have used Sentry safes for many years and have NEVER suffered any ill effects.

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I have a Sentry safe that I got for free.....even if I can't fit even 1/4 of my collecton in it I haven't found anything about it that I don't like.
    There was an auction uptown and after three days if you don't take your purchases off of the property, its open to anybody for free.....Well the guy that bought the safe didn't take it, so I went up took it home. Once I got it home, I found out it was locked and full of things, (you could hear them) so I wrote the company and sent some info and they sent my two keys--I think I had to pay $5.00 for them but hey, a $5 dollar safe is great. ;)

Speedy

11. Jess

Jess Senior Member

I am located in Ocala, FL a2J

12. rolltide

rolltide Member

Ack! I had a Sentry safe before....It was smaller than a breifcase, I'm not sure what size yours is....but I lost the key a few months ago, and my pictures and coins where in there. I had to get them out, so all I did was take a flathead screwdriver....pop the black stuff out where the keyhole is, and I got into it in about 45 seconds. I figured if I can get into it that fast, anyone can. Plus it's very portable. Even has a handle on it for easy stealing. It's great if you trust everyone because it serves a great purpose....it's fireproof.

13. Jess

Jess Senior Member

Maybe not real insight, but, I have used mine for quite a few years with no adverse effects. Cant be anyworse than placing a coin in a nontoxic 2X2 and then placing the 2X2's in a PVC binder. a2J

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are many different sizes & models of Sentry safes. The ones I own are large enough that 1 man cannot pick them up. And you're not gonna open one with a screwdriver.

Still - the space inside is limited - 1.7 cubic feet I believe.

15. jody526

jody526 New Member

No problems with my sentry safe.
    I do, however, open it regularly to let it air out. I keep a couple of packets of silica gel in it too.
    I like it mainly because it's fireproof. (to an extent)

Draft saved Draft deleted