USA Weekend Ad: "Ballistic Rolls" of Pres $1

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by umtrr-author, Aug 12, 2007.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

A full color two page advertisement in the August 10-12 USA Weekend magazine insert to many US Sunday newspapers shows that the Internet is still not the exclusive space of questionable "deals".

Offered for"free" by the "World Reserve Monetary Exchange" (not affiliated with the US Mint) are "Ballistic Rolls" of Presidental Dollars. These "never circulated" 50 coin rolls are sealed in clear plastic (hmm, how likely is it that there will be any edge lettering errors?) for a mere $98 "vault release fee". "A whopping 425 grams of coins in all" the ad proclaims, including the additional "free" Presidental dollar that is included so that you won't be tempted to open the roll, that is not only wrapped but sealed in a "vault brick."

I believe that all of the information in the advertisement is technically correct, and legal, but I find that "Ballistic" is perhaps quite the appropriate a term after all, considering my reaction to the advertisement.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Wow! So for just twice face value, it could all be yours...free!! Yeah, I've seen this ad in that supplement every Sunday. I believe a balistic roll is $50, so why anyone would pay $100 for it is beyond me. And, I like the part about it being " 425 grams" like they're selling gold instead of cheap alloy. I have 425 grams of aluminum I'll sell to anyone for the remarkebly cheap price of $100! Time to sit back and wait for the sweet offers to pour in.
    Guy~

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

This ad is VERY misleading, especially to non-collectors. When this garbage came out, a relative of mine told me of a co-worker who was all excited about buying gold coins at a very low cost with very little time to buy. I said bring the ad home with you so I could look it over. I read it over and they print it out as if it is a real article from the paper. There is a separation line that says "advertisement" in small print and they do imply that you are buying real gold. As a collector I know what they are actually selling but there is no telling how many others out there have been suckered by this and think they own actual gold coins!

5. Ryan625

Ryan625 Senior Member

may i ask what their selling if their not selling real gold? This may sound like a stupid question, but i was confused. :)

6. coinfisher91

coinfisher91 Member

oh wow yall saw that too i thought it was pretty funny one of my friends called me and was all excited about it (he obvesaly dosnt collect coins) but he thought they were a great deal. pretty funny

7. coinfisher91

coinfisher91 Member

they were selling the new presedintal dollars in tubes of 50 for only 100 dollars you know the new circulation dollar coins

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Did you see the article in the Thursday edition, talking about how the mint is lossing money making pennies and nickels. Very interesting.

9. coinfisher91

coinfisher91 Member

i did not see that artical but when i went to the mint last year they were talking about how they wanted to get rid of the penny cause it caust more to make than its face value but the problem is when it was last reviewed to remove it in like 2000 they were still making money off the penny i personly dont think they will do away with it because then how will they charge .075% sales tax?

10. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

They are probably in the clear tubes made from Space Age plastic!:eek:dd::goofer:

Frank

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Discussed on TV, newspapers, etc all the time. Then forgotten. People just can't remember how the government is constantly noted as spending $$$ on a hammer or such. They spend millions forming a committee to study why people are breathing air. So just why would our government care about the cost of making coins. I've said this many times previously. The amount of money to make a cent appears high but that is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak. The actual cost does not include the salaries of the Mint's personal, utility costs, shipping coins out and just maintenance of the buildings. Guards to protect what is made, pensions, hospitalization and probably a limo for the higher personal. When all added to the cost of a cent it would mean each one costs lots but it is only tax money so who cares.
    Just wonder when they will outsourse our monitary system to India or China.

Draft saved Draft deleted