up to date pattern Prices?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

I was wondering if there is any price guide with up to date pattern coin prices becuase when i go to a coin show i do not want to be at the mercy of the coin dealer to set the price

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Simple answer - no.

4. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

does anyone know a trustworthy reputable dealer who is going to the next baltimore show that has some patterns? I would really appreciate the info becuase my dad said he wouldnt let me buy it if i didnt have some more info

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I know a small local dealer that specializes in patterns. I have bought severals coins from him - mainly 19th century proofs - but no patterns. Patterns are very interesting but I don't know enough about them and their pricing to buy any at this time.

This dealer keeps his coins in safe deposit boxes in the same bank vault as my safe deposit box. From my dealings with this dealer I feel like he is honest and fair. If you would like I could contact him and find out what patterns he has and their prices. You could contact him if you are interested.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

6. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Many patterns go years between instances of being offered for sale. About all of the available pricing that I am aware of is sale history. I have a pattern book which also lists sales history for many of the issues, but it is from 1994. Many patterns are on the somewhat "pricey" side, running from thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. If you have a particular pattern in mind, let me know, and I can relate any sales info that I have.

7. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i am thinking of a quarter size or bigger coin can be bronze or silver that is around 800 dollars

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

You are always at the mercy of a coin dealer when it comes to price, being armed with price guides only makes you wiser as to pass or play, but none are as valuable as knowledge from buying and selling coins and a greysheet. All IMHO...Mike

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

About the only way you are going to get down to around that price will be with a seriusly impaired piece. I have avery common, for a pattern, 1863 two cent piece (If I remember it's J-312) that only grades Fine and I wouldn't be suprised if it would bring that much.

10. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i have seen coins on heritage that only have gone for around 600 $ that are in the lower mint state grades

11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

12. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Andy Lustig (the guy who wrote the introduction on that page) is very well respected in the industry.

That said, the way you ask your question leads me to think you are still a long way from making good purchasing decisions on patterns. If you don't even know that there is no good pricing data other than auction results you are likely not ready to be buying the coins. Save the $800 and buy a couple of books on the subject, explore the USpatterns site mentioned above, spend a few Saturday afternoons surfing through the patterns in the Heritage auction archive. Once you know exactly which patterns sell in your price range and which ones are the most interesting to you THEN you will be ready to buy a coin. Any coins purchased without doing all of that will be a greater risk because you are going into the purchase with no information on your side.

13. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I have a 1869 Standard Silver Quarter. J721. Does your book have a mintage or estimate for this coin? All I can find is rarity of 5, but I don't know if that represents 25 or even 200 coins. Thanks, Chris

14. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

From uspatterns.com:

R - Rarity scale (by William H. Sheldon):

Unique

R - 8, 2 or 3

R - 7 (High) 4 - 6, (Low) 7 - 12

R - 6, (High) 13 -20, (Low) 21 -30

R - 5, 31 - 75

R - 4, 76 - 200

R - 3, 201 - 500

R - 2, 501 - 1250

R - 1, Over 1250

15. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

Thanks. I have never seen the scale explained. Figured the numbers would go in reverse such as R-1 - 2-3 known

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just keep in mind that that is just 1 rarity scale, there are many of them. And they are all different and have different meanings. And each usually only applies to one group of or one type of coin.

17. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

okay good advice ty

Draft saved Draft deleted