Underpriced Commemorative: 1982 Washington Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by the_man12, Mar 27, 2009.

1. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

I, as some of you probably know, do not like to spend too much on coins. I find it more fun to hunt for deals. Most of the time these are just out of bargain bins at coin shows or cheaply priced coins at shops. Rarely, I come across an attractive coin that the market just hasn't really appreciated for as of yet. I am going to focus on the 250th anniversary of George Washington's birth Commemorative half dollar.

The coin was struck only in 1982- proofs at the mint in San Fransisco, and business strikes in Denver. It was made in uncirculated and proof versions. Both sides were designed by Elizabeth Jones, the chief sculptor/engraver of the United States at the time. They were struck on silver planchets (.900 fineness), the first of this composition since 1964. They are also the first modern commemorative coin, and the first commemorative since 1954, when the Booker T. Washington-George Washington Carver coins were struck.

These coins can be had for very cheap. My local coin shop sells them for $6 proof or uncirculated. I like to think that this is a very good price for a very beautiful, underrated coin. Here are my two examples.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have owned a couple of them. I got a proof at an auction for $5 because nobody else bid. Well the proof developed a haze that I didn't like so I dumped the coin. Personally I think it's a beautiful design. However there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in them, maybe due to the mintage numbers. The proof mintage was 4, 894,044 or a bit under five million.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Great design...90% silver. Not too many modern commem halfs minted in 90% silver, in fact I can only think of one other. Anyone care to take a stab at that bit o' trivia?

5. green18

Now don't everyone go runnin' for your Red Books at once.....:)

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

They are trading for just a hint over melt. I agree that the coin is a bargain at this price.

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

because it is too many. just like the 1986 statue of liberty silver dollar.

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

In 1982 if I remember right they sold for $32.95 & today there a $5.00 coin
    I agree there were way too many made

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

OK I'll bite. How about the 1993 Bill of Rights half dollar?

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I put all of the modern commems into the "bullion" category, similar to ASEs and AGEs. The Washington half is one of the better designs in my opinion. If the commemorative halves were all 90% silver, I think there would be more collector interest in the series.

11. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I collect the modern commems because I like the designs, not for the investment. Most of the olympic commems are rather dull in design, so I steer clear of those. At the price many of them are going for, they would make nice gifts for any person with interest in the subject on any given coin.

12. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

The Bu ones are really cheap but the proof ones retail at $25. It's a nice coin but no one seems to want it. LOL.

13. green18

Correctamundo Victor....you get a cookie.:)

14. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Thanks. Make it oatmeal.

15. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I'm going with Elaine and Jello on this one. Way too many hence junk silver basically.

Not knocking the design but I cringe when these walk in the door at work because the boss always buys them.

I'm sure we have at least 100 of them lying around.

I'd buy them at 10x face just for the silver. Numismatic value is negligible.

16. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

The last coin I ordered from the Mint. Also, the coin I have lost the most money on, percentage wise in the history of my hobby.

Good looking coin? Yep.......

Good investment? I'd do better with Maddof I think, lol.

17. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Got one of the Washington Commemorative proofs. Barely buys a six pack on a good day. Said I would never buy another one then purchased the Lincoln Proof. Now I may be forced to buy another included in the "Lincoln Set" this summer.

18. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Proof at $25? Thats WAY overpriced.

19. green18

Oh, Oh, Harry. Watch out, you might be turning into a "modern" guy...:smile

20. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

Ah maybe but online the only places I see it for so much less are online selling spots like ebay.

21. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Many times on ebay I see people paying way more than Red Book prices on commems. I've had days when I've bid fair market prices on a dozen modern commems, and haven't won a single one. I think people get bid syndrome and pay whatever it takes to get the item.

Draft saved Draft deleted