UN-bee-leevable!!!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by satootoko, Nov 16, 2004.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Click here to see my candidate for stupidest EBayer yet!

Well, let's see, among other things
    • he dates a Meiji 44 (1911) coin as "WW II 1944"
    • his "research" didn't disclose that there were no ¥5 coins minted between 1930 (when the exchange rate approximated 1¥ to $1); and 1948 (by which time the official rate was 360 to 1, and the black market rate was closer to 500 to 1)
    • his "research" didn't disclose that a genuine coin would be about 1/3 the diameter of his
    • he starts a $1,300-2,500 coin at 99¢, with no reserve

If he doesn't revise his auction based on my Question to Seller within 24 hours, I'll report him to the bogus "Community Coin Watch", which probably won't do a darn thing. :mad:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

But it says beside the 99 cents that reserve is not met!!!

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I love your optimism Roy :D

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK Roy - gonna sidetrack this a bit and throw you a curve here :D

How do you get the yen symbol to show up when you type ? For that matter - how do you get the pound symbol too ??

Uninformed minds want to know :D

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

If you hold down the ALT key while typing 155 on the number pad, not the top row it comes out ¢ .
    156 comes out £ and 157 comes out ¥.

Unfortunately, so far as I know the Euro sign is not available on a Windows keyboard. :(
    To paraphrase someone I know, Informed minds want to share knowledge. :p

7. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

alt 0128 does it for me...... as in € :)

Ian

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Doesn't have much to do with Windows or non-Windows as far as I know. If you have a US English keyboard, the euro sign will indeed not be "doable" with a single keystroke. However, that applies to many characters which are commonly used in languages other than English: Such keys are easily accessible on keyboards used in countries where those languages/characters are used, but may be "hidden" on other keyboards.

I'm in Germany, and my (Apple) keyboard has a € key. But to get ¥ or £, I need to use a chars table or have to know which key combo to press :)

Christian

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

£€¥
    Sorry, I had to try it out. That's really cool!
    (I am very easily amused these days :eek: )

10. GDJMSP

Figures - I don't have a 10 key number pad :(

11. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Are you on a laptop?

12. GDJMSP

13. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I guess you don't want to invest in a desktop just so you can make the neat currency characters? :D

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Look again. On every laptop I've seen there are number and cursor control pads on the regular keys, accesible by holding down the Fn key. The regular 7,8 and 9 keys double as those keys on the number pad and are also the Home, up arrow and PgUp; the u,i and o keys are the 4,5 and 6 number keys with the 4 and 6 usable for right and left arrows; the j,k and l keys are the number pad 1,2 and 3 and the End, down arrow and PgDn; the m is the zero and Ins keys; and the period key is the number pad decimal and the Del. (The regular / and * keys operate on the number pad.)

15. GDJMSP

Afraid not on mine pal :( I'm runnin an IBM and it has all the arrow keys - the page up/down, insert, delete home/delete keys. It just does't have a number pad. And no - the FN key doesn't help either :confused:

But I'll do some checkin and see if there are alternates for the 10 key.

16. Art

Art Numismatist?

On my IBM Thinkpad the 10 keypad is a function of the mjkluio789 keys. There's a key near the top right of the pad that says numlk/scrlk. If you hold down the shift key and press this key you should see a small arrow with a number 1 lightup right under the display. If so, you can then use the number keys imprinted on the mjkl,etc. as a 10 keypad. € - see it works.

17. GDJMSP

£ ¥ € ¢

MY Hero !! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted