ULTRA High Relief Collection versus World Collection versus all AGEs?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by UH1, Jul 30, 2009.

?

Which modern gold bullion portfolio do you recommend?

1. Be a ultra high relief double eagle junkie (Own all 10!)

16.7%
  2. Spread your 1 ounce modern gold bullions across the world

33.3%
  3. Buy all 1 ounce American Eagles in addition to your one ultra high relief

50.0%
  1. UH1

UH1 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the world of coin collecting with my very first recent acquisition of the ultra high relief double eagle (my first gold coin! hence my login name).

I'm in a dilemma here and seek your opinions. I have my heart set on collecting only 1 oz gold bullions and was wondering what you experts out there think on what I should do next. Here are my three options that I am contemplating:

1. Buy all american gold eagles (AGEs) to maximize liquidity or

2. Diversify 1 each across modern gold bullions such as AGE, buffalo, maple leaf, krugerrand, australia lunar series, philharmonic, panda, kangaroo, libertad, britannia, isle of man angel/cat, etc. Any advantage to spread bullions across different countries? Are there other modern gold bullions that I missed?

3. Buy 9 more ultra high relief double eagles in addition to the one I have since current allocation have been adjusted to 10 per household? Should I send all 10 to PCGS to get them slabbed and hope they get all 69+grades?

Any pluses or minus to each of the option above? Please advise on this +/-$15k gold portfolio. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I can start to see this is starting to get addicting. Thanks and god bless!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

If It was up to me I would grab one from various counties but that's just me. The next poster is going to say he would get 10 eagles. All and all either way you go you're going to be paying more then spot and your pieces will carry a premium.

Welcome BTW ,

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Welcome to CoinTalk.

I hate to prove you wrong.

Personally, I would buy US gold coins (as opposed to bullion) that have very little markup above its bullion value. Maybe make a US Gold Type Set. There are some great US gold coins - Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, Liberty Double Eagle, Indian Eagle, Indian $2 1/2 and $5, $3, $1 (Types I, II and III).

5. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted