U.S. Mint performance survey

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bacchus, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Right here

I can't believe they have the nerve to post this.

I rated them 'poor'.

Their survey seems to work a lot better than their "buy online" feature.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

My response to question 7:
    [​IMG]

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

How about use a server with more than 8 bits ? :)

5. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

Yeah, all the above.

Last night Server probs, this AM no record of my order etc.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

They did they last year to some collectors...I got it and sent it back with most of the things marked poor...I also told them to lower their prices.

Speedy

7. Spider

Spider ~

haha I take that all the time. The server sucks so much, I couldnt submit it.

8. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

Did u see the results? Not a good percentage of "happy campers"

9. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

How about, "toss the dialup and get broadband"

10. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

me too, after hitting the submit button I received a "page cannot be accessed" message! I s'pose thats one way to reduce complaints! :eek:

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Maybe we should start a sign-up sheet for Mint access. For example, one person gets 8am Monday. The next person gets 8:10am Monday, etc. That way there's never more than one of us connected to the Mint at a time. :)

12. Spider

Spider ~

i dont know about that Bacchus, us switching all the time will damage their $5 server

13. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

It's already busted, maybe this will fix it. :p

14. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I tried to order on-line last night, and after filling in all the required areas was given a message stating on-line ordering wouldn't work.

Now, my complaint is, why not just state that fact immediately and save the customer the time?

I telephoned this morning and ordered my silver proof sets.

:) :)

15. Steve E

Steve E New Member

I had to laugh at myself last night. I went to the website to check my order status and I just about blew a gasket when it said I didn't have any pending orders!!!! I am so used to ordering from the web that I didn't realize phone orders won't show up on the website under your account. Almost did a panic until I read the fine print. Another d--n gray hair compliments of the mint and their website woes!!! :rolleyes:

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well folks I just gotta say this - the problem isn't mint - it's the collectors. Buying mint products via the internet has become so popular and increased so quickly and such huge numbers - that the mint's web site is overwhelmed. It just can't handle the traffic. Yeah I know - they should increase the capability. And they did - but they didn't increase it enough.

I've seen this happen before in many places. I watched it happen in the '90s with the stock market - in the late '90s with eBay and Amazon. Even Microsoft had their web site overwhelmed on a daily basis at one point. But they all learned how to deal with it - it just takes a while. Building infrastructure to handle several million hits in a short period of time is not an easy task.

So what can you do about it now ? Probably not much. Just about everybody already knows to try and access the sites at non peak hours. But you can still give it a shot - it may work. But you can always revert back to old fashioned ways like the telephone - or ordering by mail :eek: :eek: did I just say that out loud ? :D

17. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I'm guessing that if everybody who now orders from the web were to call in their order, it would be an even bigger fiasco.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe, but probably not because the technology is different. They'd either get a busy signal or automatically be put on hold.

I can remember the very first time I ever saw the mint's web site go down because it was overwhelmed - 2001. It was the first day the Buffalo dollar went on sale. I waited on hold for 3 1/2 hrs to place my order. But I successfully placed it and received my coins ;)

19. sjnebay

sjnebay New Member

I can't believe it!!! Did you folks see the results. Most people think they are doing very good or excellent. Unbelievable!

20. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

They need to fix the website rendering problem in Safari. They also need to add some more hardware.

21. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Are you talking about the problem of clicking to a new page on the site and then it only partially displays ? When I'm using Safari, I usually have to click my refresh icon to get the page to display completely.

By the way, per your request, I tried to enter a witty signature line for you, but the site won't give me access to your profile. What's your password ? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted