Typically, how much do you pay over spot for silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by talley, Jun 22, 2009.

1. talley

talley Member

I was just curious what kinds of prices you guys have paid for silver bullion. How much have you, and do you pay for silver on a regular basis?

Personally, I have been getting pretty lucky buying locally. Less than 2$ over spot in all cases, so far.

Thanks. I'm just trying to gauge a range for my future purchases.:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

That sounds about average.

4. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

When you are buying this bullion for < $2.00 over spot, what are you buying? Is it an ounce at a time, five ounces, ten ounces, or what?

5. talley

talley Member

6. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I pay spot less than spot.

because I steal it.

no no, I haven't purchased non-numismatic silver in a while, so I can't say.

7. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I only pay less than melt up to melt...mainly because I only sell it for melt.

stainless

8. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

below spot (40%) to $2 over spot (ASE)

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It depends on what you buy and what the condition is. I don't think your question has a good answer without stating exactly what you buy and what condition it is in. It also won't matter much what you paid when silver hits $50 again.

10. Windsor4

Windsor4 Junior Member

Spot +

I just bought my first non numismatic bullion, 10- 1 ounce Silver Townes
    for 162. I thought that was fair and would not have paid any more. I always thought $2 over spot was fair.

Of course, the lower the better for you.

11. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Where you guys getting silver for less than melt? Someone I know wants $1000 face value of 90%.

12. talley

talley Member

Kind of still on subject...

I see a lot of people offering to pay 9X face value for pre-65 coinage. That works out to be well under spot price.

Is this because the coins are not pure silver and they're "conjugated" with other metals?

13. chip

chip Novice collector

If it is just bullion I will not pay over spot, there is an antique store that has some old silver bullion, when they have a sale, 20 percent off, I will figure it out and buy.
    I callate that I can experiment with cleaning on those old bullion pieces, and if silver goes up I can turn it in and buy something I want.

14. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

I can't find anywhere to get it cheap so I get it for around ~3$ over spot :headbang:

but when I go to foreign countries at least once a year, I can get it right on spot :D

15. Benz Coinz

Benz Coinz www.benzcoinz.com

As of today I am paying $1.00 above spot.

Ben :smile

16. Mapleleaf

Mapleleaf Junior Member

I have read here many guys like doing business with APMEX.

It seem their spot prices depend on the quantity and collectibility. I looked up 1 oz 09' Maple Leaves and 09' ASE's and they are charging $1.99 over spot. 10 oz silver Sunshine bars are only 0.79 cents over spot.

Are these fair prices?

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's just because people are looking for a bargain.

18. Benz Coinz

Benz Coinz www.benzcoinz.com

Mapleleaf... read my post above yours. I am still paying $1.00 over spot.

Ben
    :)

19. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

I've been looking for better deals and I'm about a dollar away from spot. For example, I got 3 1 ounce bars for 45$ with free shipping. Not too shabby :thumb:

20. WmsJewelers

WmsJewelers New Member

Should be able to get silver around 1 to 2 over. Less if you are buying 50 oz or more. Silver Eagles around 2 - 3 as the mint price is LIME + 1.50 to tier one dealers. 90 though is under melt right now. Take spot times 715 and that will give you what a full weight bag of 90 melts for. Bag must weigh a full 796 oz though. Slick coins will of course be less.

21. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

right now the apmex is selling american eagle bullion silver dollar at $1.79 over spot. it will be a common date. 2009 eagle is selling at $1.99 over spot. 20 pieces minimum.

Draft saved Draft deleted