tracking your collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rick, Oct 11, 2004.

1. rick

rick Coin Collector

A week ago, I decided I should start tracking my collection to some extent - at least those coins I have decided were worthy enough to put into binders.

I know there are a lot of software tools that are designed to do this best, but I found that a simple spreadsheet in excel did the trick for me. I created columns for country (because most of my collection is foreign), denomination, year, grade (my opinion), metal content, bullion value (I created a formula for automatically calculating this based on a single cell, where I can put in the current values of gold and silver), book value, whether I had a scan picture, and finally any notes about the coin worth mention.

Over the past week, I have managed to ctalague nearly 500 coins.

So does anyone else keep an electronic file of their collection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. guy

guy New Member

i use excel as well it is a handy piece of software

4. WINS7

WINS7 New Member

I too use Excel. My only problem is remembering to update it on a regular basis. :D

5. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

My wife is Microsoft Certified, so we have five computers on a network here at home. The oldest (mine) runs Windows 98, but Office 2000. The machine I am typing on has Small Business Server 2003. The latest version(s) of Excel now do allow you to attach an image to a cell. Before, all you could do was to have a Note saying that there is a picture, and other text about it.

Also, with Excel, you can generate all kinds of graphs and charts. I am not sure how important or infomative they are, but some collectors might be satisfied to see a pie chart of their inventories by Type or Grade or something.

6. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I also use Excel (new office version). You can link the photos from either your desktop or website easily by creating a hyperlink. I currently use about 58 pages, but still easier to use than any coin software package I am aware of.

7. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Once I figured out how to link pictures (that, I have to admit are coming out great based on tips I learned here) to my excel spreadsheet, my inventory control has been the best it has ever been.

8. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

I use coin organizer deluxe, I find this program to be of great help to me, I can store photos on it, along with detailed information of the coin, all is laid out right in front of me.

9. rick

rick Coin Collector

right now, I have a low grade scanner. I would like to change this eventually. As far as linking pictures go, right now, my spreadsheet is pretty much a yes/no field - however I think I can hyperlink like ND mentioned. That might be easier to view the coin... but since I have 2 of my coins currently scanned, I only put the field in for future purposes.

I think Access would be a great program to use, too. You can imbed the pictures right into the form views. The advantage there, is that Access is made to expand, where I think Excel might tend to get a little unweildy over time.

I've writen a few databases before... it might not be a bad idea.

10. Ferrarii52

Ferrarii52 New Member

I use excel since its simple and I just forget to update it all the time

11. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I use Access and developed an interface in Visual Basic... Also use it to update my webpage... But the idea is the same as excel. Tried many of the software found on the net, some of them are so simple, some of them so complicated; i think the best is a simple, but customizable spreadsheet. :cool:

12. jody526

jody526 New Member

I have a notebook and a #2 pencil. :(

13. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I use the database module in AppleWorks.

14. aem4162

aem4162 New Member

i use the open office version of excel (open source RULES!) but i have a heck of a time remembering to update it and right now it's on my computer but i've been using mom's computer because it doesn't crash as much so i can't update it anyway.

i'd like to see what the collecting programs have to offer because i wanna add pix and spread sheets kinda go WHOOOSH over my head and i really don't wanna put it on excel because i broke down and bought it after mom whined so much about how oo wasn't like ms office and it was SO easy to use at work but now i have to show her how do to every damned thing on it.

15. WINS7

WINS7 New Member

:p I love it! Not only do I have an old version in pencil, I've got a printout of the latest update and a copy on CD. I don't want to sound paranoid, but now I've even got two hard drives, one for software and one for working data and backups.

The carbon core, pulp wrapped manual data recording device is an efficient data backup device when used with a pulp-based recording medium. It is very cost effective and much more easily replaced in the event of failure than any computer componet. :D

16. sylvester

sylvester New Member

HA! I'm slightly more advanced and upmarket here, i have a notebook and a fountain pen! :D

Well i did move over to using excel eventually and i've got all my 40 or so coins listed. Yes forty, not many i know.

17. goossen

goossen Senior Member

By the way, do you think it's important to track the price you payed for a coin? I got almost all my coins swapping with people, but have bought a few... Should I track the prices i've payed?

18. aem4162

aem4162 New Member

i'd think it would be good for insurance purposes

19. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

I do, also: date, source, and price of each coin bought. I also track date and price of disposition.

I have multiple collections, so I have a field that describes in which collection the coin is hiding.

I keep all receipts for coins purchased in a binder, also for insurance purposes.

20. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

I too use an excel spreadsheet and I do include the price I paid for it. This way I can see if it has gained value :) or lost value :mad: over the years. Cataloging with pictures is a good idea also, currently I use an inventory number for each coin.

21. rick

rick Coin Collector

I wish I had kept receipts for my coin purchases over the years. You would think, being an accountant, I would have thought to start earlier...

Maybe I could get a job at Worldcom, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted