Toned Franklin Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jul 24, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

here's my coin! what you guys think of this and what you think it would be valued at to a toned collector and how many of you would want to add such a toned to your collection ie: how many of you guys are toned coin collectors?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

It's artificially toned and it's only value is the silver in it ($5-6)

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

the bulls eye does seem a bit to perfect but I will wait for better minds to chime in.

5. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

Yup, sure looks AT to me.

6. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I'd say 100% AT. Sorry to say. It looks painted on. Also look at the rims as they are worn and not toned and that seems unnatural. I agree only silver melt value. There are a lot who collect toned coins here, to answer your other question. Lehigh, Tonnedcointrader? I think and several others.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

We don't need my opinion on this one. It is a no brainer. Keep and eye on the coin, it might look like this after a while.

[​IMG]

:mad:

Now if you want to see a phenomenal NT Franklin Half Dollar, I would be more than happy to oblige.

[​IMG]

:D

8. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

Geez Lehigh, Now I'll have to post mine... :rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Many (not all) coins toned on both sides are AT.
    Particularly it the toning on both sides is similar.

Coins in old force-fit albums (only one side showing) had a different environment on each side. Different toning.
    End coins from rolls had a different environment on each side. Different toning.
    BUT
    Coins in more modern albums (plastic slides) pretty much have the same environment on each side. Similar toning. But more protection so less likely to have eye-grabbing toning.
    Coins in 2x2's, flips, Capital Plastic, etc. pretty much have the same environment on each side. Similar toning. But more protection so less likely to have eye-grabbing toning.
    Coins in the old paper envelopes pretty much have the same environment on each side. Similar toning. But the paper was not archival (contained sulfur) and those coins REALLY toned, but generally a uniform black.

I sure others here can come up with othe storage types.

Bottom Line: It takes rather special conditions for a coin to naturally tone like yours.
    Unlikely that it's NT.

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

This came out of a plastic tube. None of the others looked anything like it. Someone told me it looked like a typical coin that had been in a brown envelope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Would want to see the coin in hand to say for sure, but I guess I'm gonna have to play contrarian on this one. See those untoned spots on the obv, less on the rev - that is almost impossible to duplicate on purpose. I suspect the coin is NT, but would reserve final judgement for in-hand viewing.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The subject-coin fits into my definition of NT, too, because that doesn't look like spray paint. I have to tell y'all, though, my definition considers "intent" irrelevant.

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I've seen many coins on ebay that look exactly like this. Toning should be unique. I say 100% AT and wouldn't have even paid spot for it. The bare patches could have had some other chemical flicked at it that the color wouldn't stick to. This looks like a typical painted/doctored coin to me. Just way too wild and unnatrual. They just don't look like this. What on earth would cause natural toning like this?

If it came from ebay, you could probably go through the sellers feedback and find the supplies he purchased to color this coin. Or, at the very least, several other coins of different denominations with the same exact toning. In fact, I can just about guess where this came from.

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

16. Ahab

Ahab Member

Furham, I like it! edited

17. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

To me, that coin is unquestionably AT. Neither the colors nor their pattern look original.

18. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I like furham's coin.

The OP coin - whether AT or NT - is just too Art Deco for me.

I just can't see that coin in "nature". I guess you could use it as a night lite!

And finally, yes, it probably does have a premium to someone, somewhere. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

19. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I like it too. Did you notice the reed mark next to the "9". I just wonder what it would grade.

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And really, isn't that how that issue should be handled? You're speaking from a standpoint of taste. If you ask me, you nailed it. If a coin is toned, it's toned. Who cares how that happened? Do you like it? And, is it not spray paint? Always remember, draw the line at spray paint. That's all there is to it, far as I'm concerned.

21. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I and some other people very much care how it happened.

There is something very appealing about the notion of coin toning in its own random, unique way, over a period of years, without being subjected to intentional manipulation. On the other hand, the charm and allure of the toning would disappear for me, if I knew that it was being intentionally mass produced in the name of profit.

Ditto for antiques that have have acquired a natural patina and not been restored. Or an old clock or toy that is in working order without replaced parts or restoration. It's partly about appreciating things more, knowing that they have defied the odds.

Draft saved Draft deleted