Thoughts on Lincoln prices in 2009?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ron5812, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Ron5812

Ron5812 New Member

Any idea or predictions of prices on lincoln cent in 2009? The 1909 will most likely be worth a pretty penny (haha) in any grade. Are there any years I should most definately keep my eyes out for? I know the double dies will probably go up in price. How bout wheats? or even Indian head sents? I'm starting this thread for MY future generations. If there are any years or mint marks that you think will be worth anything in the years to come? Just bought a roll of 1960 small date, nothing fancy. Most are circulated. But my kids and grandkids will have fun with them. I've got sets and sets of completed and partials. 1939 lincoln seems to be going up in value. Should I get them graded? Never had coins graded before, where do I start? Been to the PCGS website. Do I just pay the $199, and send a bunch of my best coins in? Not to sell but to protect for years down the line. I see alot of old PCGS holders. Would a coin graded then still grade the same as if I sent it in today? So many questions. I've been collecting since 1999. Didn't think much of the Deleware quarters or the Cheerios sag's (thought it was just a promotional stunt). I still kick myself in the rear for not even buying one box of cheerios. Ah well live and learn. I'm a reader on this site, not much of a poster. Just enjoy seeing whats on other collectors minds. Thx much Ron

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Ron, though I'm not a collector of Lincoln cents, I'll still give you my thoughts (because I know you want them ;) ). There's still billions of them. With that said, I think that the keys and semi-keys will probably still be just that...they'll still be the ones to get. Double die interest does seem to be growing also. Getting any of your nicer key coins graded is not a bad idea. Of course, the thing that's quite important with the higher end cents (and the thing that partially scares the heck out of me about collecting coppers) is keeping them red. Oh, and keeping the green gunk off of them. :eek: So, if you're focusing on having a nice collection of coppers for future generations, your storage methods will be key.

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are going to be some big surprises in Lincolns over the next several years. One of the first will be its discontinuation except in mint and proof sets. These already cost well over 1c to produce and the powers that be won't absorb these costs if they keep rising.

Ironically the biggest winners may be the zinc coins. These are not nearly so abundant as most people assume and are of much lower quality than most collectors expect. While none are by any means scarce in unc there are several which are difficult in nice attractive condition and many that are tough in gem. The '84-D is one of the best especially if you can find it with smooth surfaces. There are lots of PL's among these coins and a nice set of these should be in high demand.

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The earlier memorials may do extremely well also. These tend to be much more common in BU but gems are very elusive for most of the '70's dates.

Earlier Lincolns, of course, will also be more highly sought.

6. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

I have been collecting nicer rolls of the (relatively) lower mintages. The prices will jump dramatically when (yes) the cent is discontinued. I'm hoarding all the Lincolns I can get. :)

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Think you'll find there will be quite a lot of stubborn resistance to phasing out the one cent coin for quite a long time. But if it is to be discontinued, it will have to be forceful, for the same reason that nobody will ever use a $1 coin over a $1 bill if they have a choice about it. I would predict that it will be easier to get rid of the $1 bill than the penny, and that will be hard enough.

Honestly if we're talking about coins that are a waste of money to mint... why are they still minting millions of half dollars that seldom if ever see circulation? Either an effort should be made to get them to cirulate again, or they should cease to be minted except for mint sets. The penny may cost more than 1 cent to mint... but it least it's being used. As a collector I'd hate to see the half go... but from a practical standpoint, why is it still being minted?

8. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

IMO...

Lincoln reds before 1940 in MS65 condition or better will continue to rise. After all, finding and keeping Lincolns in RED condition is not easy. With that said, I keep my red Lincolns before 1950 in Intercept Sheilds in an Eagle Page holder. These pages are in an acid-free photo calm shell binder. All things being equal, this seems to do a good job. Now, you also have to keep them in room temperature and dry (low humidity) too! Intercept sheilds will not reverse toning or carbon spots, they will just inhibit them and help keep Lincolns in their current state.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Like with all coins...grade, rarity, survial rates, and market demand all play a role in coin prices. That is why a 1914-D Lincoln in AU55 condition is actually worth more than the 09S-VDB in the same grade. Sure they made more 14-D's, but these coins were circulated for years before people figured out that the mint didn't make much. Consequently finding MS 14-D's are available...but at SERIOUS dollars!

Grading with PCGS or other TPG's? I will submit a coin if it has a value of at least $150 or more. Considering you are paying $15 to $30 per submission, you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it? With that said, I would NOT by a key date coin like the 09S-VDB, 1922-Plain (Strong Reverse), 14-D or 55 DDO unless it was certfied! There is just too many fakes floating out there!

So...I am hoping that in 2009, a whole new generation of collectors will be interested in collecting all 100 years of Lincoln cents. I'm ready. Considering we are just temporary owners of our coins, I may sell them in 2010 and cash out.

...then start on something else :)

Draft saved Draft deleted