The Thinking Emperor

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here is a silver Marcus Aurelius Antonious (sp) I cleaned myself using olive oil and a homemade electrolysis setup. I then dipped it in a silver jewlery cleaning solution to BRIGHTEN it :D

B

Attached Files:

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bone,that is a very nice job you have done there in cleaning up that Antoninianus.You can actually work out the date of this coin,
    as COS III is the 3rd year of the Emperor's Consulate.That is the only clue I can give you.

Aidan.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Hmmm, 164 A.D.

B

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello
    I am afraid I have to say it is not an antoninianus but a denarius. Ants will be created by Caracalla about half a century later. The portrait is radiate on the antoniniani

COS III does not mean the third year of the consulship, which lasted for one year at once, but the third consulship. I'm at work now, far from my books, but I can have a look when back home for the year.

By the way it's a nice coin Bone

Cucumbor

6. BjC

BjC Senior Member

my god where did you get that? :yawn:

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Personally cleaned, like most of my ancients. I have some soaking even now :)

Bone

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

OK I'm back home,

The reverse is TRP XXI IMP IIII COS III

This means that Marcus Aurelius was Tribunia Plebis for the 21 st time, Imperator for the 4 th time and Consul for the 3 rd time, which is situated in AD 167
    See RCV vol II #4934 (p 308)

Cucumbor

Draft saved Draft deleted