The price of boxes from the bank.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Colibri, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Colibri

Colibri Junior Member

[FONT=&quot]I have question. I know that US cents can come in boxes of 25$, what is the cost/price of boxes for the other denomination?[/FONT]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I believe:

a box of nickels: 100$
    box of quarters: 500$

I dont know about dimes.
    and I thought a box of one cents was 50$?

4. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

cents-$25
    nickels-$100
    dimes-$250
    quarters-$500
    halves-$500
    dollar coins-$1,000

bags
    cents-$50
    nickels-$200
    dimes-$500
    quarters-$1,000
    halves-$1,000
    dollar coins-$2,000

boxes have 50 rolls in them, and bags have 100 rolls.

capthank likes this.
  5. tcekolin

tcekolin Junior Member

Wish I could get bags from my bank. Drat it all. I'd get bags of cents rather than boxes in a skinny minute.

- Tony

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Actually boxes have 50 rolls and bags have enough loose coins to make 100 rolls.

7. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

What he said. :)

8. Colibri

Colibri Junior Member

Now here is a new part to the question. Does anyone know how much these boxes weigh? Your talking to a 100 pound weakling.

DEA likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nickels weigh 5 grams each
    Dimes weigh 2.27 grams
    Quarters 5.67 grams
    Halves 11.34 grams
    and dollars weigh 8.1 grams
    there are 453.5 grams in a pound

The actual weight of the boxes of each is left as an exercise for the student

cents weight 2.5 grams for zinc and 3.1 grams for copper so the weight of a box of cents will be a range depending on the percentage of each type in the box. The range runs from (2.5 * 2500)/453.5 or 13.78 pounds if they are all zinc to (3.1 * 2500)/453.5 or 17.09 pounds if they are all copper

10. Sara davenport

Sara davenport New Member

The answer is heavy...lol I spent 400 in a mix of penny's buckles dines and quarters... I make it no more than 40 feet out the front of the bank and the bottom of my backpack busted out. . it wasn't a old bag, but I had to go back in and ask them to take some back... I remember sticking rolls in every pocket of my jeans and almost dropped my pants in front of the arm... Lol

DEA and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The only exception is the dime box which is a bit lighter than the rest. All in all they are heavy. Good luck.

12. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

If you ask the bank for boxes or bags are you more likely to get uncirculated rolls?

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sorry that happened to you but I did get a good laugh from it. Welcome to CT.

DEA likes this.
  14. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

No. You get what they get. I have never gotten a box of uncirculated quarters. I did get a box of uncirculated pennies once, but that is the only time. Theboxes are sealed so they have no idea what is in them. It's the luck of the draw.

Mcpix likes this.
  15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

yeah, once I made it half way across the parking lot going to my dump bank with the coin counting machine and dropped my return bag of $500 in loose quarters and it just exploded. the bank is free standing and the parking lot was quiet thankfully, but it still took like a half hour to get it all back together in the busted canvas bag and then hammock it into the bank, where I dumped it in and did my best to pick out the pebbles. LOL. Good times.......

by the way, here's a fish,
    a box of quarters, or $500 in quarters loose in a strong bag, is roughly 25 pounds with the packaging.

I recommend a strong bag, and don't drop it, you are better setting it down then losing your grip and dropping it :)

16. Millard

Millard Coindog

Seems to me my bank has half dollars in a $1000 box (?). Although I have seen them in $500 (half) box too.

John Burgess likes this.
  17. Millard

Millard Coindog

Does anyone get boxes of Eisenhower dollars anymore? Didn't think the banks would order these anymore. Just the mixed boxes of Susan B's, Native, and Pres.

18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

The fed reserve bank will take them back from the armored carries from the bank, but they don't distribute them anymore according to the FRB website. that stopped when they stopped distributing to the banks directly I think and got the armored carriers in the middle A bank used to be able to order them from the fed reserve though even during the state quarters time period.

Unsearched, large dollars, a thing of the past I think. maybe someone turns in a handful to a bank here or there and you catch it before they send them to the fed. that's all I can think of, I am sure coin dealers probably have them also out there, but doubtful that will turn up any silver.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many coin stores have bags of 5000 wheat cents for $220 last year when I bought one to keep in case I got bored over the pandemic. I only dipped a handful out to see a good mix, cost more, but much more fun than getting 5 current cents from a rerolled-rerolled roll. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted