The meaning of 'AR' and 'AE' (Roman coins)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jhonn, May 17, 2006.

1. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

I was wondering what 'AR' in the case of silver Roman coins and 'AE' in the case of broze Roman coins meant? Google is not being kind to me with this one...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

AR is silver, AE is bronze. I think it's just another way of saying silver and bronze.

So, if a description says AE Sestertius, it's just like saying Bronze Sestertius, kind of a short hand.

4. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

That's what I figured, as argentum is ye olde Latin for silver. I think what threw me off was that the period table abbreviation for silver is AG. Personally, I blame the periodic table...

5. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Heck, you know more than I do (argentum). Yeah, that danged periodic table is good for messing you up sometimes. :)

6. Jhonn

Jhonn Team Awesome

Believe me, after several semesters of intense Latin at a major university, you start to THINK in Latin. And that's not a good thing, esp. when you start putting your verbs at the ends of your sentences, and inserting several words in between adjectives and the nouns they modify! Luckily, this Classics minor of mine will land me an excellent job...as a cashier at Target. With tens of thousands of dollars of debt. Hooray. :rolling:

7. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Yep, and AU is gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted