[CLOSED] The "It's About Time I Had Another Giveaway Because H8_modern is so Awesome" contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Congratulations!

4. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Thank you @lordmarcovan for the awesome prizes! It was a fun contest that I learned a lot from and am super stoked about expanding my collection with some coinage from the motherland! Salud!
    IMG_0868.JPG

NLL likes this.
  5. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I wish that was my package. My Nana is from Italy and recently I have shown interest in the Italian Lira. Very cool prize. Very cool!

6. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Do you know what area? After he fought in WWI my great grandfather came over on the boat from San Bartolomeo to NY and worked as, what they called them, a powder monkey blasting the mountains for the NYS throughway. Once he had saved enough money he had his brother come over, then his wife (that was an arranged marriage) and they started shipping relatives in and settling in Brooklyn. Once my grandma was born he decided drilling holes and filling them with dynamite wasn't a good career so he opened a grocery shop up and was the blocks Italian grocer. If I had one more pull of the time machines handle it would have been to meet my great grandfather as a young man, Brooklyn 1920s. I can still remember him bouncing me on his knee singing in Italian with his string bean puppet.

LaCointessa and NLL like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There's more in the box those came from, @NLL, and I have your address.

Now, I'm not sayin' watch your mailbox, 'cause those of you who've won giveaways from me know I sometimes take a while to ship those, but... you never know... something Italian might appear... one day. ;)

8. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thank you. Now I'm speech less.

9. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

My Nana was born in 1933. She was raised in Naples Italy through world war two. It is hard talking to her about it because it was a very rough point in her life, but every once in a while she will tell me something. She came to New York in 1960, one year after having her first child. After coming to the states she had 3 more children. When I get around to it I'll have to post some of her stories.

10. lordmarcovan

Note to self: look out for 1933 Italian coins (I don't think they made many-it was the Depression- but I'll see what I have.) Certainly I can hook you up with some that ol' "NLL's Nana" might get a nostalgic kick out of.

11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Haha that is too funny. Speaking of coins I don't know if the story is true or not but my Nana just told me a story this morning. She said that when she was young her family had a big ceramic container sort of like a vase and she said that her family had filled it with coins and money in general. She said it was burried in her back yard when the goverment came around with metal detectors and dug it up and took it. I asked her what type of stuff was in there and she told me gold. I'm not sure if the story is made up or if it is indeed true but it is interesting nonetheless.About a week ago she came to vist for a few weeks so I'll see what else she will tell me.

12. lordmarcovan

BTW, this is a stock photo of one of those early 1900s "Flying Nude" type 20-centesimi pieces. @moneycostingmemoney got one of those, as you can see in his post. I know I have at least one left; maybe two. One will be yours.

[​IMG]

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Thanks for the contest! It was fun!

14. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

One will be mine?

15. lordmarcovan

Yeah, I've still got one or two of those left in my "mostly Italy" box of unsorted stuff. In circulated grades, they're not terribly expensive. But from a design standpoint they're quite lovely, as you can see.

NLL and moneycostingmemoney like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.